ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cleaning injectors

Hi All,

Can any of you aspiring grease munkeys tell me how I go about removing my injectors so I can get them cleaned? Id really appreciate it if somebody could give me a quick idiots guide of how to do this.

Cheers

Oli

On the same note, does anyone know or have any experiences of injector cleaners which you add to your tank of petrol, such as those produced by STP etc. Do they work? or do the additives already in the petrol do the same thing?

Williams 2, STi N12

Doesnt it have that in your Haynes manual, I know it doesnt cover the willy but it should be the same for a 16V.

Tried the additive stuff myself but could tell either way. The only way is to take them out and get them cleaned properly.

I know that Nick has had it done and had some favourable results (correct me if Im wrong)...

I will check the Haynes of course...but I just wanted to know the reality of the job as opposed to the Haynes view of things....

My local garage wants £18 per injector...not too sure how this sits in terms of good value....

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra

I think nick said he paid £15 somthing from a bosch service centre, and if im not mistaken Nick got 50% more flow once his were cleaned. As far as i know you remove the fuel rail, 4 bolts i think, unplug some electrics and away you go. Check haynes tho. I think Nick said it wasnt as easy as it sounds,

I had major problems with my car until I got the injectors cleaned. Even renault couldnt work out the reason for the misfire causing crap mpg and major power loss. Id tried 4 garages before I decided to get the injectors cleaned.

I sent mine to a garage I found online who charged £10 per injector including return postage (they sent them back the same day they got them as well) They cleaned them, flow tested them replaced the pintle caps, filters and seals all included in the price. I would defiantly recommend them but Ill have to dig out the address.

As for removing the injectors its a pretty simple job. Follow the haynes manual and take your time. It can be quite hard to get the rail out so be careful not to damage the injectors. Also make sure none of the pintle caps are left in the bores when the rail comes off. I used some silicon grease on the o rings to get it all back together again as well but its a pretty straight forward job. It was actually one of the first jobs I did on my car and took me a couple of hours.

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra

do you actually go through HGL to get em cleaned or can you use one of the places listed, theres one in liverpool so i thought i might just take em down, i hat my car being off the road

Coolspot, I posted them to HGL only cause after phoning round I couldnt find anyone local to do it but the price and service was good.

My advice is make sure you see the before and after flow rates and get them to put on new pintle caps, filters etc because I think a broken pintle cap was what screwed the spray pattern up at least one of my injectors (someone had damaged it after removing and replacing the injectors previously i guess). Also some places just have the ultrasonic cleaners and not the flow testing machine so you cant see the improvment/spray patterns.