ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cleaning metal filings from track car?

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
I've been grinding and drilling spot welds from my interior for weeks.

Now I'm done there are loads of patches around the doors and boot where metal shards have sat on the paint and started to rust.

The car hasn't had a good clean for ages either. I don't want to spend a mint and I'm not hugely bothered about the kindest product for the paint.

​I'd like something that will strip all of the filings and brake dust that's not hugely expensive. IronX looks good but expensive by the look. Thoughts?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Iron x mate. Discount code in the sticky section of this section.

i4detailing or CarPro themselves. No contest in my opinion. It blows the others out the way.

I would tend to agree with Kev, and say IronX as a dedicated iron remover.

However, having tried the Wonder Wheels Hot Wheels product over the weekend (a new-ish formula that turns red when it reacts with ingrained brake dust, not the brick acid wheel cleaner we all know and hate), I'd be tempted to try that. More based on you saying you're not that fussed/it's a track car.

The stuff is available in Tesco's petrol stations for £1.73 per 500ml bottle. I bought four in the event it's as good as DW says. Have a read;

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=223658

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=225510&highlight=iron_x+v+hotwheels

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=227529&highlight=hotwheel+v+bilberry

***I AM NOT SAYING THIS IS 100% SAFE FOR YOUR PAINT*** however, it is pH neutral, like IronX.

It is in some Tescos. Weekend just gone was the first time I thought to check my local Tesco fuel station, having done a shop and not found it (large Tescos). Hence buying four bottles of it to last me. Depends how desperate you are for it. for a 10 mins search through a thread (can't find the link but just type in tesco wonder wheels into DW's search bar and it'll bring up a long thread) and you'll find where it's stocked.

I'd say I'd post some out, but thinking about popping it on eBay to make a profit :eek:

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I've been reading about that JD, I understand it changes colour even with no iron involved also.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
The colour change is only for dirt according to the packaging. Just to show you where the crap is so you can agitate/pressure wash it away.

I've been reading about that JD, I understand it changes colour even with no iron involved also.

Can you send me some links, Kev? I thought I'd covered them all on DW but not seen that one. TBH, might have glazed over it.

The colour change is only for dirt according to the packaging. Just to show you where the crap is so you can agitate/pressure wash it away.

Cheers Don, but keen to see experience of it as well as most packaging/instructions are useless! Not poopooing your point, but if it does what most on DW claim (touchless wash) it's ideal for my wheels, living in London with only access to forecourt pressure washers.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Cheers Guys. I'll have a crack with Wonder Wheels first then IronX if required.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Autosmart? do a fallout remover pretty cheap but 5litre tins. Doesn't change colour with the reaction with metal fallout but reports seem to be good none the less.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
  Cup In bits
Fairly liquid spray, I'm forgetting its full name but Fred has recomended it a few times now for removing proper brake dust from wheels that iron-x won't touch.