ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cleaning old oil and crud off engine

2003 Clio 172
Apologies if this should be in the engine threads section, however it is cleaning related ?

My car has quite a lot of old oil and grime all over the bottom part of the engine, I assume from historic oil leaks, etc. When I first got the car there was a leak from the cam oil seals which has now been resolved. I'm just looking for the best way to clean the bottom of the engine without damaging any electrical components, etc. I imagine pressure washing is a bad idea, so is it just a case of getting it up on axle stands, removing undertray and getting busy with some degreaser and a brush, or are there any better approaches? Cleaning the top, more accessible part of the engine was easy, however I have a feeling the bottom part will be a ballache. Thanks.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Brake cleaner/ autogylm engine cleaner then hose off. You'll be fine under the engine, just have it running whilst you do it.

Cerrone

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
  RB Clio 182
I just got under mine and used “gunk” from Halfords. Bit of scrubbing and leave it for 10 minuets and wash off, it was really easy!