ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cleaning Products

Right, ive cleaned alot of cars in my life and i have used alot of products. However, you can never try them all. If anyone has any good tips or products to get that showroom finish to your car, hows about letting me know?

Renault Laguna Sports

Just used Meguiars scatch X on my bonnet to get rid of swirl marks left by other polishs. Top product. :D

Quote: Originally posted by Black Fox on 04 August 2003

Just used Meguiars scatch X on my bonnet to get rid of swirl marks left by other polishs. Top product.
Yeah i noticed loads of them scratches on my car. I might try this then. What about products other than polishes? I use back to black. is there a better product?

350z & 16v Maxi

Meguiars 3 stage by far the best, and ive tried a lot. Get them for free from my work.

However i should expect it to be good, you are polising your car 3 times!!!

Get the S100 product range from your nearest Harley Davidson shop and you wont be disappointed. The wax is superb.

Ive used AUtoglym a lot before i tried this stuff on the recommendation of someone on here. It puts autoglym to shame.

Or try here www.seriousperformance.co.uk

GR7

Shiny red R32

Well Im going to be different as I think Auto Glym is well over rated and I prefer Turtle Wax Extreme Polishing Wax and Turtle Wax Gloss Guard which is better than Auto Glym. The Gloss Guard is £6.99 for 500ml and the Auto Glym Gloss Protection is £11.99 for the same amount, and this is what I used to use before I discovered the Turtle Wax Gloss.

Zymol is fine and smells nice, but for me the Turtle Wax beats it, partly because it is quicker and easier to apply and remove and also for those who dont want to spend too much, Zymol is nearly double the price and doesnt last quite as long.

I have a cupboard full of every type of polish and car cleaning stuff, much to the annoyance of hubby as I never completely finish any of them as I like a nice new tin or bottle when I clean my car!

I use wonder wheels trim and tyre shine for, wait for it, the trim and tyres. Its far better than back to black. Armour all (or whatever it is) for the interior plastics and door seals. I dont polish my car that often at the moment as next door are having a house built and as soon as I have washed it it is filthy almost straight away. I am still on free samples from the motor show.

The Jinx

Quote: Originally posted by king.stromba on 04 August 2003

I use back to black. is there a better product?

Dont use back to black. Its just a silicon spray. This means that all the crap on your plastics just gets sealed in. When you wash it all you do is clean the silicon, thereby not getting the plastic clear of crap.

You can use Acetone to remove those nasty white polish/wax on plastic/rubber stains. I use cheap nail varnish remover (contains acetone) and this works a treat.

Weeman sucks ****

I use MER, it comes in a blue bottle and smells pretty damn good to. It brings my cup up trumps and is good at getting the bugs off to.

Anyone find any difference between polish that is a solid and one that is liquid? Personally i prefere the solid, i find it covers the paint a little thicker. Any comments?

7.6cc :D

King Stromba, are you the man that waved a hoover pipe at someone out the window?

It good to know at least one man that keeps his interior vacced and fresh :D

GR7

Shiny red R32

Quote: Originally posted by king.stromba on 05 August 2003

Anyone find any difference between polish that is a solid and one that is liquid? Personally i prefere the solid, i find it covers the paint a little thicker. Any comments?
My dad, who I blame for my car-cleaning habit, has always said that the harder the wax/polish is to apply and remove, the longer it lasts on the paintwork.

I think he is right. He certainly wouldnt use Mer as it is too powdery!

By far the best way is to get the wife cleaning.

Phone up on way home and she has the bucket and sponge all ready just like a pit stop.

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider

the best cleaning products are the proffessional ones.....

MUCH cheaper than Auto (stain the plaistic polish etc)

to do a full job you need

TFR (traffic film remover) - cleans the plastics etc well (spray it on before a jet wash

decent shampoo, non waxing (with a large sponge and warm water)

rinse wax for speed... spray on after you have jetted the soap off (like the stuff in the jet wash)

best chamis (or however you spell it) you can buy

non chalk based (water based) polish

tire shine spray... (several available)

plastics spray.... apply this before the polish

window polish... (easy on and off)

clean paint brush for brushing interior vents etc etc

fbreeze for making the inside smell nice

anti - static mop for taking any final bits of dust off the paint...

a full valet should take about 5 hrs if you really going for it....

we also do valets at GDI (I used to run a valet company) and have all the stuff you need, I can order in for you if you want more.... mostly 5 ltr bottles but it is so much better than any of the retail products its not true...

oh forgot alloy cleaner.... not acid so wont damage your paint.... spray on leave for 5 mins jet off... clean wheels even if they are spoked alloys and really dirty!!!!

Cheers Andy GDI. Ill bring her over about 5 ish? Also if you could find time to dry clean the clothes on the back seat it would be appreciated;).

Ive used loads of stuff and used to work for Halfords many moons ago, where we were allowed to take stuff home to use it so that we could recommend products with some authority and experience.

I always start with a Halfords car shampoo. Not found a better one yet and Autoglyms is particularly poor I find.

Some will insist on using a Chamois cloth to dry the car and I have used this too, but it takes ages to dry and in the summer the water will dry and streak before you get a chance to chammy the whole car. I would recommend you try (shock!) a towel to dry the car. Now, I know some will say this scratches the paintwork... but not if you wash the towel in your washing machine just before use. Make sure the towel is still just damp and warm from the wash for best results!!! This is honestly the best method Ive found and for a quick effect just wash the car and dry it like this (having in the past applied some decent synthetic wax that wont get washed off). Id keep about five towels in various different sizes for this job. Remember also to dry the whole door frame, under the wing mirrors, inside the bonnet, under the rear windows and inside the boot. Otherwise water will linger and usually get blown out when you drive the car - ruining your carefully prepared shine!

Everyone has their favourite waxing routine with certain products. Id personally say that it depends on colour. On my pearlescent black Valver, the Meiguars range worked best for a deep shine from a natural carnuba wax at the final stage. With the Williams 449 Sports Blue, I find that Autoglyms Extra Gloss Protection synthetic wax gives the best results. Dont know why, but with the Autoglym finish the paint shines more and goes kind of purpley in the sun (of course it still does this with any other wax, but not to the same degree). I use a Turtle Wax solution for the tyres (works best on those with lots of sidewall ridges like a Michelin, try Autoglym trigger spray for Yokohama or similar with more exposed rubber/less ridges).

Dont forget the carpets either, especially in a Williams (blue carpets)! If you havent done it for a while, then the difference will be incredible. Halfords range works fine for this - and is currently half price (IIRC).