ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cleaning up a soft top roof. (Z4)

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
So this obviously isn't for a clio but I have a Z4 with a soft top and wondered if any of you guys knew anything about getting them looking like new? It currently has a small area that is starting to look a bit greenish which I'm guessing is a build up of moss etc. So how do I go about cleaning this off and can anyone recommenced a method/kit for "re-blacking" the fabric. I know you can get kits but want some decent advice first before I ruin it completely!

Thanks

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50
Interested too in getting our TT roof done - someone has recommended Renovo for a complete clean/colour/protect but not sure about the application phase of the recolouring part.

Mk3 P1 dymanique 16v
All purpose cleaner (APC) agitate with a medium stiff brush... Until clean
wait till completely clean and seal with gtech I1
easy and will look like new!!!

Honda & VW
Like already mentioned, a diluted APC to clean followed by something like I1, Chemical Guys smart fabric or Gyeon Fabric Coat to protect

2004 clio 182
Milton's sterilising tablets and the a good two coats of fabsil. If you have trouble getting green marks off then there is a spray you can get from a camping supply shop that works great, can't remember the name but it's in the tent cleaning section lol.

Renvo is good on some roofs but not so good on others, on my saab it was useless, on the saab next door it worked great.

a nail brush is good to scrub with.

Hoover the roof first though, it sucks up all the dirt and spores. I was told its best to hover the roof every month and reseal with fabsil every 3 months.

mark

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Avoid any very full on sealants. The autoglym cleaning kit will be fine for getting the green off and is readily available, you only really need the cleaner, the other part is optional.

The z4 roof is tri layer, the initial (top) layer is designed to let water through, where it gets to the middle later and runs into the drain sills.

Milton's sterilising tablets and the a good two coats of fabsil. If you have trouble getting green marks off then there is a spray you can get from a camping supply shop that works great, can't remember the name but it's in the tent cleaning section lol.

Renvo is good on some roofs but not so good on others, on my saab it was useless, on the saab next door it worked great.

a nail brush is good to scrub with.

Hoover the roof first though, it sucks up all the dirt and spores. I was told its best to hover the roof every month and reseal with fabsil every 3 months.

mark

Fabsil is not the stuff you want to be using on a car roof. For tents, yes, fine.

As has been sort of mentioned already the process is;

Hoover
Rinse
Clean with a soft bristled brush and some All Purpose Cleaner
Rinse
Ensure it is completely dry or any sealant will not last
Soak with GTechniq i1 - this will last circa 6months is applied correctly

Simple soapy water will then suffice until reapplication.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Fabsil is not the stuff you want to be using on a car roof. For tents, yes, fine.

As has been sort of mentioned already the process is;

Hoover
Rinse
Clean with a soft bristled brush and some All Purpose Cleaner
Rinse
Ensure it is completely dry or any sealant will not last
Soak with GTechniq i1 - this will last circa 6months is applied correctly

Simple soapy water will then suffice until reapplication.

I assume g1 isn't thick chap? As 'thinner' sealants are fine, water can still pass through the fibres of the fabric, all be it there is more run off. Thicker ones that basically make the top waterproof do hamper the design on the z4

2004 clio 182
All I can tell you is what was recommended to me for the saab by the saab owners club and confirmed by my old saab main dealer ( after he tried selling me the saab stuff ) I used it for years on the saabs I had, there roofs were the older style canvas ones though so maybe very different to the bmw.

Mark

All I can tell you is what was recommended to me for the saab by the saab owners club and confirmed by my old saab main dealer ( after he tried selling me the saab stuff ) I used it for years on the saabs I had, there roofs were the older style canvas ones though so maybe very different to the bmw.

Mark

Is where the issue lies, Mark. To say they know nothing is an understatement. But agreed the older style would probably see no harm from using that sort of product. Modern roofs it's a no no.