ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cleaning your car(s) (fao GR)!

CTR EK9 turbo

Girlracer - it sounds like you take pride in washing your car. Its strangely addictive isnt it? I used to work (summer job) at a subaru /peugeot/sangyong/isuzu dealership and apart from delivering the cars i had to wash them. Its actually quite good fun and addictive!-especially when youve got nice tools/space to work with, the best part are: cleaning the alloys and the (obviously) end result.

What do you like best about cleaning your cars and which parts do you particularly enjoy cleaning and how do you clean yours?

I (rarely -unfortunately at the moment) clean my car using a normal hose and then normal bucket and sponge and then leather then hoover. (at work thatd be called a C12 - and would cost the customer about £18 !!!)

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

I hate cleaning my alloys, it takes forever, theyve got loads of spokes and loads of places for dirt to hide which never comes off easy!!!!!!!!!!!

I do like polishing her though, love the deep shine but washing the car always shows you all the scratchs, dents and chips :(

I hate cleaning my car but am quite obsessive on cleaning my wheels. Ill never get a multispoke, 5 spoke rules!

CTR EK9 turbo

Yeah my alloys are a real pain to clean actually. I might pop down to where i used to work and give her a cheeky once over!!

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

In some ways I wish Id gone for 5 spokes cos there easy to clean but I really do like my multispokes!!!!!!!!!!

every 3 weeks in winter, 2 weeks in summer. she gets a wash wid jus water and washing up liquid (including engine interior door metal eg sills), wax, hoover. pay special attention 2 alloys (kosei 5 spoke) as they make the car shine

I wash my car whenever its needed...i hate nothing more than my car being dirty.

I mind i washed it two days in a row and felt quite obsessive.

I normally just wash with sponge and shampoo, leather chamio, do the wheels, hoover inside and then clean the glass. Takes me about an hour now!

Then about once every two months I polish and do the dash and stuff!

What shampoos and Waxs do you guys use? I use A-G Shampoo and conditioner and Super Resin Polish. :) What wax comes out the most shiney? Making car vid on thursday and need her to be v.shiney! Want mirror effects!

I use halfords advanced car wash. comes in a massive bottle and is really good.

I use either mer or AG polish depends on the mood

I use AG glass cleaner and air freshener

And i use Armourel for the tyres and dash

Halfords Advanced Car Wash is good - I had some of the real expensive Turtle Wax stuff which stopped streaks, that was amazing, but for the price difference, I didnt think halfords was that far behind.

Wax, I am using Turtle Wax Extreme, very good (Use to use Autoglym in the past (Super Resin Polish)).. Glass is Autoglym Glass Cleaner, dash and trim are Turtle Wax Dash/Bumper/Tyre Shine and then Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover.

Now, after saying that - My car is filthy, not been cleaned for 2 - 3 weeks, covered in salt, mud and anything else which makes dark blue look dirty. I think it also looks like a lighter blue than it usually does. Something tells me I need to wash it and then give it some Waxing - maybe even Polish or T-Cutting.

Might clean it, then see how it looks - Im pretty sure it needs a good polish though (or wax) - lots of little scratches are visible now.

And that concludes my essay for today - if you read down this far, its all been worth it. Id like to thank my manag..... Bah, Lets just leave it.

Daz.

it dont take long, only wax at weekends so on other days just give her a wash and dry. there is a massive yard and hose behind where i work so just take 20 mins after work!

aint washin up liquid ment to take the shine off the car?

i jus use some sh*t from vauxhall i had left over every other wk

I normally do it every weekend, Im using Autoglym products at the mo... they are very good.

I polished it with the super resin polish about 3 weeks ago and then sealed it with the extra gloss protection, which works like a charm. Ive just been reapplying the extra gloss stuff recently and trying to leave it on for as long as poss before buffing it off.

Left it on for an hour at the weekend before taking it off and the car looked ace... water just beads off so quickly it always looks shiny even when soaked.

I use that wonder wheels stuff to do the alloys, it makes light work of any crap on them and just rinses off, its even pretty easy to get at all the nooks and crannies on the speedlines... I can recommend it to anyone...

Well i like to use the old Maguiers (or however you spell it) Gold class shampoo. Gives a nice finish and when the weather is good enough and the birds arent out there ready and waiting to crap on a clean car i use the Autoglym super resin polish. As for wheels i seem to spend hours with a toothbrush and hose trying to get the crap out. Man i hate the winter weather it makes black cars look so untidy even a few hours after a clean.

Well my car was gleaming this morning. I done a 70 mile trip...and my car is actually black..you can ever see the number plate any more ehehe

GR7

Shiny red R32

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 04 March 2003

I hate cleaning my car but am quite obsessive on cleaning my wheels. Ill never get a multispoke, 5 spoke rules!
You lazy boy! :cry: Multi-spokes are gorgeous, a hundred times better than the standard Clio wheels, which are the same design on all of the models, except that the lesser models dont seem to be alloys. Personally I think that the 172 should have had Super Ts as standard, like the V6, especially as the 172 is more expensive than the others and, dare I say it, a bit more exclusive too. Cheapskate Renault - as usual.

About the cleaning of them, I dont find a problem at all, as I dont let them get very dirty. If I get home having driven on wet roads, I always go out with either the hose or a couple of buckets of water and a sponge (not to be used on the paintwork) and wash the dirt off the wheels whilst they are still wet. It comes off very easily, unlike when the wheels have dried. I also wax them occasionally which also makes them easier to clean.

Likewise with the car, if it has wet dirty splashes on it, I hose and sponge it off ASAP. I think it is kinder to the paintwork as the dirt is already moistened, so that very little rubbing is needed. This might be the reason why I dont have any scratches or swirls on my car, but also I have done less than 3,500 miles too, so no bonnet chips either. I like to keep back from vehicles in front of me, after once a couple of cars ago, having a stone thrown up from a car which hit the windscreen with a very loud bang.

In reality, I wash my car off before I wash and clean it properly. I do the same with the dishes, I always rinse everything off under the tap before I put them into the dishwasher!

Every couple of months I use the gloss finish stuff after polishing my car, which makes it so much easier to clean it, as the paintwork appears to stay very smooth for ages, almost oily to touch and doesnt need polishing as often as without using it. Water beads on it for quite a while too and it stays very shiny and being black seems to enhance the shine. One of my neighbours has a bright silver Vectra and if he polishes it, it never looks as shiny as my little Clio (so he says).

:D

GR7

Shiny red R32

Quote: Originally posted by boyracer666 on 04 March 2003

every 3 weeks in winter, 2 weeks in summer. she gets a wash wid jus water and washing up liquid (including engine interior door metal eg sills), wax, hoover. pay special attention 2 alloys (kosei 5 spoke) as they make the car shine
NEVER USE WASHING UP LIQUID ON YOUR PAINTWORK AS IT CONTAINS SALT WHICH IS VERY CORROSIVE.

GR7

Shiny red R32

Quote: Originally posted by Dust on 04 March 2003

What shampoos and Waxs do you guys use? I use A-G Shampoo and conditioner and Super Resin Polish. :) What wax comes out the most shiney? Making car vid on thursday and need her to be v.shiney! Want mirror effects!
If you read Auto Express no 743, they did a product test and the best and longest lasting shine was from TURTLE WAX GLOSS GUARD, which was the only one to get 5 blobs. They said that since its launch in 1998 nothing has been as good, even without polishing the car first as you have to with the AutoGlym equivalent, which only got 3 blobs and is £11.99 as against the Turtle Wax £6.99, so better all round.

AutoGlym Extra Gloss Protection was only given 3 blobs and they found it a nuisance having to leave the stuff on for an hour prior to rubbing it off. Meguiars Deep Crystal Step 2&3 was also given only 3 blobs and it needed two applications, whereas the others needed only one, so very time consuming. Meguiars Gold Class was only given 3 blobs and at £12.99 for slightly less cleaner, was more expensive than the AutoGlym and was not even as good as the Deep Crystal polish.

The next best in their test was Turtle Wax plus PTFE/Comma Top Gloss Car Polish/Simoniz Original/Armour All Car Wax all with 4 blobs. Their test bonnet was polished and kept undercover for 24 hours to cure, then it was left outside for five weeks in the wind and rain, and it was regularly sprayed with water to check for beading.

So it looks like the Turtle Wax Gloss Guard is the one to try next!

Hope this helps everyone who likes their cars very shiny!!

;)

GR7

Shiny red R32

Quote: Originally posted by Dust on 04 March 2003

Dust. it looks as though you should try the Turtle Wax Gloss Guard for your car to look its best!!

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Girlracer my car has less miles than yours...........................

....but I have had my speedo head replaced!!!

i use a pressure system to clean my alloys... gets the sh*t off them in a matter of seconds...

cleaning my car, i water it with hose first to get any lose dirt off... then bucket of warm water and car shampoo+wax.

rinse off with hose.. after that, shammy it. then when dry... i use a high ressin gloss polish.

takes about 2 hours to clean my car. 3-4hours on a hot sunny day.

I just cleaned my car, first time after repair...so nice:)

cant belive how good a job renault did at colour coding the car.

They are pretty expensive, but I did get it through my insurance!

gonna get a pic off it

I used Autoglym super resin for years then I got a metallic car and it started leaving "swirl" marks where I had polished. Someone told me SRP has some kind of T-Cut type stuff in it! I dont know how true that is.

Anyway this works miles better:

Simonz Wax original - takes 1/2 a day!! and not in the sun or warmth

Turtle Wax Gloss Guard on top!!

With Supe Resin Polish the water used to stop beading after 2-3 weeks

With Simonz it was a month or so

With the Turtle Wax gloss guard ontop of the Wax it 2 months +

I must try the other wax GR reccommended!!

GR7

Shiny red R32

Not my recommendation Carlos, it was the Auto Express guys!

Just as a reminder because the page has changed - The Turtle Wax Gloss Guard was their first choice with 5 blobs, followed by Turtle Wax plus PTFE / Comma Top Gloss Car Polish / Simoniz Original / Armour All Car Wax all with 4 blobs.

Happy cleaning guys!! And girls.

;)