ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clicking noise... Possible drive shaft or gearbox issue?

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
As title chaps,

Recently I have started to hear a clicking noise coming from my n/s/f Its not very loud and only heard with the passenger window down.
It seems to be a rotational noise and gets faster with vehicle speed not the engine rev's. It happens whilst driving in a straight line, and also while turning.
I haven't had chance to inspect it at work yet, as the wife is using the car. However last night I jacked up the n/s/f and spun the wheel, and there was no noise whatsoever! Drop the car back onto the ground and go to drive it even at slow speeds and it makes the noise. So it only makes the noise when the vehicle is under load. Which makes me think it could possibly be drive shaft or gearbox related.

Anyone experienced this with their car?

Cheers Rob.

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
My drive shaft is buggered it clicks loudly when turning left or right. Regardless of speed

PH2 172
As title chaps,

Recently I have started to hear a clicking noise coming from my n/s/f Its not very loud and only heard with the passenger window down.
It seems to be a rotational noise and gets faster with vehicle speed not the engine rev's. It happens whilst driving in a straight line, and also while turning.
I haven't had chance to inspect it at work yet, as the wife is using the car. However last night I jacked up the n/s/f and spun the wheel, and there was no noise whatsoever! Drop the car back onto the ground and go to drive it even at slow speeds and it makes the noise. So it only makes the noise when the vehicle is under load. Which makes me think it could possibly be drive shaft or gearbox related.

Anyone experienced this with their car?

Cheers Rob.
Have you checked the wheel bolts are tight?