ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clicking sound when braking

I dont drive my car that often, and occasionally the brakes will stick on at the rear due to the hand brake being left on and the pads sticking to the discs (i try to remember to leave it in gear and the handbrake off, but forget sometimes)

I tried moving it yesterday and the rear brakes had binded on, i had to drop the clutch in first to get the pads to come off the discs. There's now a clicking sound as i press the brake pedal. It only clicks when the brakes are pressed and seems to click once with a single revolution of the wheel. it's coming from the caliper area

what could it be folks?

Clio 172 Cup
I have a similar problem - my rear brakes are making a clicking noise when slowing from around 6mph to 0 (maybe that's the only time I can hear it) - seems to click on around every single revolution of the wheel. Have checked for cracked disc, but it's not, and it's not a substantial enough clicking to be that as I've had that before. Just replaced the brakes a few days ago, and so I double checked all bolts were tight, and pad springs were in place.

Also, my 172 cup has developed a knocking/clunking coming from the passenger side front wheel area. Only really notice it at slower speeds, going over bumps/potholes. Just not long replaced the lower balljoint for that side, so shouldn't be that. Wondering about suspension top mount?

Any suggestions much appreciated!

Thanks,

Justin

"Navy" N17 TWO
I'm getting this clicking sound now too, only hear it at slow speeds with a full turn of the wheel.
Once the car has had a run out on a main road the noise doesn't come back at all, only from cold!

I have 2 hairline cracks on the n/s/r disc the o/s and fronts are fine. Noise seems to come from the o/s/r wheel though :S

Rear discs and n/s handbrake cable are getting replaced next week, just wondering about this clicking noise is there anything else needs looked at while I'm at it?

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
I also have had this problem, I went and bought new rear brake discs, Rear pads and handbrake cables but after doing all that it stopped after about 3/4 weeks and there is no noise there at all, It started after having 3 people in the back of the car.

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
^ Way too strange that one :S

I know mate, It was a rotational noise and only when breaking at very slow speed under 15mph to a stop.
It has now stopped and it has not came back, I had in total 2 different garages look at it aswell as 3 guys at my work (i work for Vw) and they thought there might have been a cracked disc.

As i say its totally gone now with no noise.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Well the cracked disc would be the likely culprit then if that's the case

BUT...what caused it the second time around for you then? :rolleyes: