ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CLIO 1.2 16V ENGINE HELP

Mk2 clio 1.2 16v POW
Hi everyone I hope your all well.

Looking for some help with my 1.2 16v.

Its developed a very strange engine rattle that comes and goes and isnt consistent. The noise is like when your labouring the engine and in the wrong gear. I can go up hill in 5th at 40 and it pulls well and doesnt make the noise. Sometimes I can be high reving in a low gear and it does the rattle. The car is 08 plate and has done 128k I recently topped up with fresh oil but it is due a complete service soon. The car has full service history. Seems to be worse on hot days and when I accelerate hard. I have put descent fuel in and has made no difference. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Take care

TheBandit

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco172, Green 1.2
Is it affected by direction of travel or incline? How old are your engine mounts? If performance isn't affected it could be something hitting something it shouldn't.

My heat shield on the firewall came loose and rattled on the back of the engine block, also my exhaust has rattled in its mount when not correctly clamped up - just as some examples I have experienced.

Mk2 clio 1.2 16v POW
Hi mate thanks for your reply. It doesnt seem to have a set pattern at all. Like I say going up hill in 5th at 40 the engine pulls well and doesnt make the noise, its just so random mate can you check from the engine bay if something is catching or more underneath. It definitely appears to be coming from the engine cheers again

TheBandit

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco172, Green 1.2
You can just about see behind them, lots of room at the front as you probably know. Grab hold of the engine while off and cold (best grabbing something metal rather than the plastic inlet) and give it a shake and see if it moves. I have replaced my mounts recently and there is very little movement when done by hand.

If its on accelerating it may be the dogbone mount at the back of the engine has perished. Every time you bury your foot down the engine may be twisting and banging around in the mounts.

1626709283580.png

There is not too much to these engines so I would start checking the mounts and see where that gets you (especially if they have done 128K miles)

Mk2 clio 1.2 16v POW
Hi mate thank you so much for this. Is this something I could change myself and do you have a guide that could help me. Its really doing my head in now the noise and think for the price of a cheap part I could try and do it myself cheers mate thanks again

TheBandit

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco172, Green 1.2
Really easy, the dogbone is just two bolts under the engine. Unless you are really flexible you will need to jack the front up to get at them.

If you end up doing the top mount you need to jack up the engine from the bottom to support it.

I can grab bolt torques for you after work if you need/want that info

Mk2 clio 1.2 16v POW
Thats amazing mate thank you so much if you tell me what size sockets I need and also the location of the mount. Thanks mate

TheBandit

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco172, Green 1.2
I checked the top mount with sockets, the bottom is from memory.

I think the nut on the back of the dogbone is a size up from its bolt. I think I put an adjustable wrench on the nut and undone the bolt with a socket.

(My socket set goes upto 20mm so it can't be larger then that)

PXL_20210813_094658770~2.jpg

PXL_20210813_094839370~2.jpg