ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 1.2 Poor Petrol?

Clio 1.2 Extreme 4
Hi, i recently got my first car, 2005 clio 1.2 extreme 4.
From looking at the autotrader stats it should be doing 36.2mpg.

But mine struggles to do half of that these days, from filling up a gallon the light seems to come on at around after 15 miles of driving.

Ive never seen the mpg calculator give me a reading of over 30, when i fill up and start driving it starts off from around 50mpg and eventualy drops and stays around 26!

Last weekend i put around £15 pounds in and i only seemed to get around 60 miles out of it!
Thats very low and quite rubbish! A friend says he gets around 70 miles out of £10 on a 1.4 polo!

Yes the car was serviced about a month or 2 ago.
I dont drive the car stupidly, by that i mean i change at low revs etc.

Whats wrong with my car :(

Clio 1.2 Extreme 4
It's not heavy foot cause ive read that elsewhere before and i avoid doing it.

If it was lambda sensor then that would of come up when connected to the machine to check for problems?
Because about 2/3 weeks ago it started jolting and the cause was the coilpack and that was replaced and the car was back to normal smooth driving again.
It starts of at 50 but itl drop to about 26 within 5 minutes of low revs gear changes, smooth driving.

I notice youve got a 1.2 dynamique, how many miles do you get out of £10?

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
iv never put £10 in but when i fill the tank completley, im getting between 400 and 450 miles, works out at between 38mpg and 41mpg

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
mine is currently doing 32 mpg but that is my fault would normally get 40+ mpg on a sensible long run, probably the lambda needs replacing quite common i think with 1.2's

Could be your Carbon Canister being broke. Its in front of the drivers wheel arch.

When the light comes on, do you put £10 then reset the trip?
When then light comes on, it means you have approx 1 Gallon left. So if you're putting 1 Gallon in when the lights been on for 40miles, I guess you would only see 10miles before it comes on again after putting £10 in.

Recently serviced?

Hi, i recently got my first car, 2005 clio 1.2 extreme 4.
From looking at the autotrader stats it should be doing 36.2mpg.

But mine struggles to do half of that these days, from filling up a gallon the light seems to come on at around after 15 miles of driving.

Ive never seen the mpg calculator give me a reading of over 30, when i fill up and start driving it starts off from around 50mpg and eventualy drops and stays around 26!

Last weekend i put around £15 pounds in and i only seemed to get around 60 miles out of it!
Thats very low and quite rubbish! A friend says he gets around 70 miles out of £10 on a 1.4 polo!

Yes the car was serviced about a month or 2 ago.
I dont drive the car stupidly, by that i mean i change at low revs etc.

Whats wrong with my car :(

;)

1.2 16v Black Stealth Rep
Yeah I seem to have the same problem! Its becoming a joke! I'd fill up £20 from Reserve and it will only go up just below the second notch and it doesnt last long at all, maybe 50-70miles :( .

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
So many things can effect your vehicles fuel consumption... tyre pressures, binding brakes, exhaust system integrity, faulty engine sensors. Servicing your car is, if done properly, about more than just changing the oil and filters.

If you think the fuel consumption is up then get it looked at properly. If there are any problems with any of the above it should be found and pointed out to you.

Mick

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
had this problem on my mums 1.2, spent facking ages trying to sort it, in the end it was the fuel sender, was doing 20mpg-25mpg, now does 40+

1.2 y0!
i ran out of fuel about 2 weeks ago, my own fault but it proved a good point...i cant do 72 miles on £10 lol :rasp:

Clio 1.2 dynamic
Well on my 1.2 Dynamique i get around the 42mpg mark on average. but before i got it serviced was only getting around the 30mpg mark!!

Toyota MR2
I can quiet easily get 33mpg around town and thats with a heavy foot. I put £15 in and did 80 miles on it. With regards to long journeys I cant quiet easily see 50+ and doing 65mph its nudging 60mpg! And thats with a car that's only had an oil and filter change in the last 2 years.

Clio 1.2 Extreme 4
Thankyou for all the replies.
Alot of you saying lambda sensor, is that a common problem with clio's?

This time had driven 15 miles with the light on.
Filled up light came on at 55. So for iv drivin 15 miles over so to 70 miles.

So really from that £10 ive received around 70 miles which is better, but a small part was motorway driving.

Once i fill up and reset the mpg's it will start off around 50 and then drop to around anything between 25-40.
And i can notice when i accelrate it goes down etc.

But once i park up and come to drive again it doesnt seem to change anymore it just gets stays at around 30, is that normal?

Clio dynamique 1.2
I drive a 1.2 clio dynamique 2012. My mpg is at 27- 30mpg and £10 is giving me roughly 50miles. I press the gas lightly and also serviced recently. I don’t understand what the issue could be. My tyres are all correctly p

Ed Hodson

ClioSport Club Member
I would normally get about 38 mpg from my 1.2 Clio when I was using it to go to work. The journey was typically about 45min with a mix of country roads and town driving.

I don’t use the car much these days and so the type of journeys it does do are short trips to the supermarket etc. Town mikes, maybe 10min runs max. I’m now getting mpg figures if about 30mpg... which isn’t a surprise considering the journey type.

I know that if I was to do a long journey (1hr+), motorway miles, I could comfortably get about 42mpg.

So, there might be nothing wrong with your car at all.

Ed Hodson

ClioSport Club Member
Also, each time you reset your mpg, it will clear its history. The mpg figure displayed is an average. Therefore, you have to do a good few miles after the reset before you’ll get an mpg figure that means something.

Clio mk3 1.4
What type of driving are you doing? Is it rush hour traffic to work, crawling at low speeds with constant stops? Or is it more so motorway driving at 60+mph.

Clio II 1.2 16V
It's all about about where you are driving it, and what sort of speeds you are doing. Lot's of stop and start's in a city, poor MPG. constant running on a A road at 45-55, then good MPG. I did have a ext 4 and got 48 MPG on a constant run at 45-50 ish mph going to work at 5am. around Sheffield. in stop stat then down to 32 ish. Now I drive a meg 225, that lucky to get 38, if I drive it like a fanny going to work at 5 am.