ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio 1.2 sluggish under load idles nicely.

clio 1.2 sport
hi all.

having a small problem.

i have a 2004 clio 1.2 petrol manual.

basicly start the car it idles around 600 revs. sounds to idle fine. rev engine whilst stationary and mostly it revs up nicely. however sometimes it chokes on acceleration. i try driving the car and driving like an old person it seams fine. however put on bit of acceleration and car stutters abit going up the rev range. also occasionally bangs/pops. car drove fine untill i had to sort out wires in the engine bay.

ihad a feeling it could be the throttle body (electronic type) or maybe air sensor so removed these today and cleaned both parts. re-fitted everything and no differance!! i have no fault codes come up which is a pain in the arse!!

my next feeling is to try other injectors asi just so happen to have 4 laying around! maybe one is breaking down possably from the bad wiring from previous owner!! lol im going to try these tomorrow but not holding my breath.

do people think this could be a likely cause or would injector fail like this cause fault code??

also have read alittle about tdc sensors causing problems but could my clio problems be caused by tdc sensor??

maybe its something i havnt thought of yet hence why im asking people who may have suffered similar issues. let me know any thoughts.

cheers lee

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
could be a number of things, i had a look at one that had the same issue but was quite badly misfiring under load, it had done 50k miles and never been serviced since it left the factory so i tried plugs first as they needed done, same issue, changed the coil pack as i had a spare lying about i knew worked and same issue, turned out to be a dodgey injector

clio 1.2 sport
ok so ive replaced the injectors now.
took for a drive and problem still seams to be present!!
it seams alittle better but might not be as been awile since i last drove.
its noticable on acceleration. e.g in 2nd gear around 1500-2500 revs try to accelerate and hesitates for slit second. may do this about 4 times in a second or 2 then accelerates as normal.
also found upon accelerating in 3rd gear going through the rev range seams to hesitate in stages around the rev counter. e.g hesitate for split second at 3k revs then 3.5k revs then 4k revs etc.
its definatly not running smoothly during drivng. however driven slowly e.g elderly person it will drive nicely!!

head mess!!!!!!

thinking of changing fuel filter next
if that doesnt solve then may try fuel pump.
i dont suspect spark really but may try plugs and coil pack!!

any other sugestions??

cheers lee

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
id get it on a diagnostics machine before you start throwing cash at it.

if you just want to start doing parts then id say plugs and coil pack first, you already done injectors, do you know they are 100% working? and beore touching the fuel system id be looking at engine wiring loom if its a 2001-2004 engine (grey engine cover)

clio 1.2 sport
should of said the previous owner told me he just replaced coil pack! dunno bot leads n plugs tho.

ive got a obd reader. no fault codes at all!!however mine doesnt take readings from sensors etc so could do with that being done!!

clio 1.2 sport
what does the white wire go to from the coil pack plug? runs down back of engine to a white block. i tried removing this block unsucessfully last week and not sure if i may have damaged somthing there??

Suzuki Ignis Sport
HT leads come with the coil pack. The plugs are only like £20.. get them changed first.

I've not read through it all - but on the 1.2s, isn't there part of the loom that can rub on the ECU bracket or something around that area, it can cut into the wire and it causes all kinds of running problems?

Just my 2 pence!

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Also check the HT leads aren't shorting out against the block, if you take the cover off and look down the spark plug channels there shouldn't be any sparking.

Renault Clio 1.2 16v
As above I would try plugs and leads first tbh. :)

I had the wiring loom issue with my 1.2 - didn't cause a misfire though. Either the engine went into limp home mode or just cut out all together! Not a nice problem!

clio 1.2 sport
An update.

I forgot to mension I was hearing a rush of air near throttle body on acceleration.

I changed intake manifold throttle body. Sensors on intake manifold. Wiring loom etc.

Things seam abit better. No more rushing air noise and problem has gotten abit better.

There is still a slight hesitation on acceleration not as noticable now tho.

I will change coil pack n plugs next to see if I can compleatly clear this fault.

Cheers lee

Suzuki Ignis Sport
Did you clean the throttle body? Might be a hole in the air intake pipe? Air filter knackered? Hole in airbox? Pipe not connected properly?