ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 1.2 - Trouble Starting

Hello all

OK, I own a Y REG 2001 Clio 1.2 16 and this morning it had problems starting.

First off I would like to make 3 suggestions which could be caused the problems?

1) I had a TOAD alarm fitted some weeks ago and the car never had problems starting before this.
2) It has a fault code of H. Im not sure what fault this is, but it has never affected the car when it comes to starting her up.
3) I installed some new speakers a few days ago. Surely these couldnt effect it, even if they were wired incorrectly? They sound fine and dont crackle.

OK, so the problem is, I went to the car this morning to try and start her up and all the lights came on but it just sort of beeped and didnt even attempt to turn over. Tried it a few times and it did try to turn over but wouldnt start. After a few attempts and leaving it for a minute it started and runs fine.

And has done this once before but started on the second attempt.

Ofcourse this needs to be looked at, but can anyone recommend any garages etc?
I do not have warranty and I am assuming DIXON Renault would be the most expensive and lets face it, Renault dealers are not very good.
By the way I am based in Huddersfield, West Yorkshire.

Thanks all.

Had same problem with mine but i didnt get a beep noise. Took it to the dealer they said it was a fault with the ECU and they replaced it under warranty (hope this isnt your problem as their not cheap) Its now started doing it again so i phoned dealer and they said think its a faulty starter motor which will be just under £200 to replace as its now out of warranty! Going to see if they will pay for it though since they didnt fix it the 1st time when it was in warranty. Its booked in for Wed, will let u know what the problem is.

Howard

MERCEDES CLS AMG

If the toad alarm in anyway has been interlinked into the loom incorrectly this may have an affect on the problem ( have you checked to see if the alarm is continously draining power from the battery - may just be a knackered battery )

H - is a fault code from a non Renault diagnostic computer and im not to sure about that - if you get it on a "CLIP" official Renault diagnostic computer it may tell you the problem - usually if the fault is recorded on the ECU your ok, but if not the problem has to occur whilst the diagnostic computer is linked up to the socket and activated. Your best doing this at the time the fault occurs the most - if its 1st thing in the morning leave the car overnight at a garage so its cold and connect the diagnostic computer up then - in 99% of cases the problem occurs and you can determin what the problem is.

If the speakers are wired up correctly and not causing a permanent current drainage you should be ok - but its unlikely that this will be the fault.

It really needs to get a proffesional diagnosis - this will save you money and time. I think it could be a loose connection are maybe a knackered battery ?

Try putting some grease onto the + / - terminals on the battery. I had this problem on my 1999 1.2. Once I did this, it started first time!

Hi

It was first thing this morning, but the first time was after work, so was not used for over 7 hours.

How can I tell if it is draining from the battery? No warning lights appear either.

The H codes show when I hold down the button on the windscreen wiper stalk and turn the ignition.

Do Renault charge just for looking at the car?

MERCEDES CLS AMG

sounds like a dodgy connection - you can do an electrical current drainage check with a voltage meter - if you are not mechanically minded, take it to a car accesory shop and ask them if they could do a check on your battery because you may need a new one - they will test it there and then with a meter. Tell them about the problem beforehand. Also check the starter motor - if thats sticking it may be the cause of the problem

R26

If your lights come on dash etc and everything works that should do with the battery it could be the key connection.

Mines had the same prob.

There is a wire from the key to the engine and basically it came loose. Took the guys at arnold clark 20mins to sort it £20 no worries.

Apparently common with Renaults (what aint though).

Lets just hope it something like that!

Anyway, recovery came out and dropped it off at Renault. Will phone them in the morning.

How do I go about getting a courtesy car and how much will Renault charge just for diagnosis?

**UPDATE**

Finished work, car wont start, taken to Renault via recovery truck!

**UPDATE**

[Edited by GeeUK on 07 January 2005 at 9:19pm]

OK, rang DIXON Renault and they can not look at it until Wednesday and they have no courtesy cars!

Renting a car is just too expensive, can anyone suggest any ideas?
It might just be a dodgy battery! Should I go down with one and try it before they look at it ?

**UPDATE 2**

Went down and changed the battery and it now ticks over trying to start. Tried it 4-5 times and it fired up. Ive drove it around for a bit now and when I try start it, it fires up first time.

Will try again in a few hours to see if starts up first time.
Renault guy down there said it could be an immobilisor fault?