ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 1.5 DCI Mk2 2002 65BHP - Timing Belt Crankshaft Free Floating pinion crank?

Renault Clio 1.5 DCI
I have a Renault Clio 1.5 DCI 2002 65BHP

My TDC PIN Bolt has been rounded, I need to remove to lock the Crankshaft when doing a timing belt, according to Renault Tech. Instructions

I’ve had no luck trying to remove this using a reverse drill and Screw Extractor.

Can anyone advise please if I can do the timing belt replacement and water pump simply by locking the Camshaft and having the Crankshaft set to 12’oc’clock and marking these alignments?

I’ve read TDC cannot be done this way, due to the Crankshaft not being keyed and my engine having free floating crankshaft. But I’m not sure what this means.

Are you able to advise on this, or give any hints please as to what you would do?

What would be your approach?

What is meant by not keyed? and Free Floating pinion crank?

thanks in advance

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
You can but if your timing is already slightly out then it will be slightly out again. They're not keyed so the crank bolt holds the crank pulley in place so if loosens then the engine is lunched. Same with the cam sprocket, the nut on them does come loose

The bolt is a female torx bolt and I ALWAYS replace them after I get them out, if you can get some molegrips on it then you might be able to crack it loose

Renault Clio 1.5 DCI
thanks, If I cannot remove the TDC bolt, and go with manually marking it, how do I know when its at TDC if not keyed?