ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 1.6 stuttering while driving

Clio 2, 1.6 16v
Hi, the issue I'm having is with my Clio 2, 1.6 16v 2001.

Firstly, my check engine light came up while driving down the motorway yesterday.
Today though, I was heading back home, but while overtaking, the car wouldn't go over 3000rpm in 5th gear. I pulled over and shut the engine off, started it back on, the revs on idle were around 500-600 going slightly up and down and the car was shaking while standing still.
I managed to get home like this because I was close by, but in every gear, the car would stutter, jerk and accelerate very poorly.

Did anyone have an issue similar to this? I'm going to take it to a mechanic but I wanted to see what kind of issue I should expect from this?
Thanks for any help in advance.

Clio 2, 1.6 16v
Short update:

Took the car to a garage, they hooked up a reader and said it was the spark plugs. Changed them and the car runs like new. £25 fix.
So for anyone having a similar issue, spark plugs could be the ones causing this. Thanks to K4M and Dom for replying with helpful advice.