ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172/182 - Too small?

VW Golf
I'm looking at getting a second car for a bit of fun and some track days. I've currently got a Golf TDI which is fine but God it's boring!

I've heard good things about Clios and at the moment they are top of my list.

I've had a look through the forum for things to look out for etc.

I'm undecided on a 172 or a 182 any advice would be good! What what I've read the 182 has more power but the 172 is lighter?

One question though...will I have enough space? Im 6ft 4 (and a half...always important that half inch!). I've heard different things about if there will be enough room (plus wearing a helmet on track days).

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
Should be fine. I’m 6-2 and don’t have any problems.

The standard seat position is a bit high. But if you are going to track it you can address that with changing the seat and fitting it as low as you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m 5’9” but probably have a similar length upper body to you (my inside leg is 28”). If you fit buckets there’s loads of headroom.

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
6'5 here and I was all good with a helmet on, you may wish to look at taking the rubber bungs out of the seat mountings if you have an exceptionally long body 😅. I was okay without doing that though.

Attachments

• 15343402644720675714.JPG
    15343402644720675714.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 124

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
You'll definitely want to take the spacers out that are under the seats. Even for me at 5ft 9 at a push, it made a considerable difference.

You could always go one step further and fit buckets on Jon Foz lowered frames too. Can get an aftermarket steering wheel and fit a spacer to bring it closer to you if you're stretching too much as well.

David172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 M135i
Id advise to go and sit in one/drive one. Your knees might be right up close to the wheel which isnt ideal. I'm 6'2" and wouldnt want to be any more cramped tbh!

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
6'6 here, standard seats are a tight fit with a helmet on but fine for everyday driving without.

As said, take the bungs out and you'll be fine or get some lowered seat rails and/or bucket seats!

If you can sit in one before buying thwt would be best obviously but you'll find out if your knees fit on the test drive. I have to bend mine around the steering wheel, but I have that in most cars.

Last edited:
Im 5'9 and the biggest problem was knee room, helps being lower but I just took out the trim around the column in the end.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
6'6 here, standard seats are a tight fit with a helmet on but fine for everyday driving without.

As said, take the bungs out and you'll be fine or get some lowered seat rails and/or bucket seats!

If you can sit in one before buying thwt would be best obviously but you'll find out if your knees fit on the test drive. I have to bend mine around the steering wheel, but I have that in most cars.

6 6. Assume yours came with a sunroof lol

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
I'm 6'3", and wouldn't entertain owning another 172/182 with standard seats.

The least you'll want is a set of recaros with Jon foz low mounts. I believe these are about 40mm lower than the standard seat, depending on what type of recaro seat you opt for.

I'm using recaros from an Evo 8 (I believe). And still found them too high. So have made some custom mounts to allow the seats to be bolted to Jon foz X-low mounts (designed for bucket seats). These have given me a further 70mm. I do believe the Evo 8 recaros sit a little higher than the recaro trendline that most people fit though.

Ideally if you tracking it you'll want a decent set of bucket seats anyway for the support.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Loving being able to put a height to peoples names on here, should start a 'what height are you're thread.

5' 7" here

3 series, 172 Cup
6'2" tall and wide, I've been ok using mine as a daily and some spirited driving! That's even with the standard seats. What's these rubber bungs? How do they come out?

6 ft 2 and zero issues in mine. Not standard seats or frames though.

One thing to note, is if you have a full cage a helmet might get tight in the front. I have to slouch a little in my mates car. OMP subframes, side mounts, buckets, full cage.

172 / 996 / Z3
Check out the Carfection video with Henry Catchpole reviewing his own 182. He’s at least 6 3, and one of the best reviewers out there.