ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 Cup Springs

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
I'm trying to keep my 172 Cup in standard spec, what are the options for replacement standard front and rear springs?

If anyone has replaced their 172 Cup springs for coilovers I could be interested in buying them if they are in good condition as I'm finding it impossible to find new ones.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I'm trying to keep my 172 Cup in standard spec, what are the options for replacement standard front and rear springs?

If anyone has replaced their 172 Cup springs for coilovers I could be interested in buying them if they are in good condition as I'm finding it impossible to find new ones.
Coilovers aren't exactly standard spec.
I have Grams springs on my 182 with standard cup dampers. They drop the car about 25 ish mm all round and the car handles better than standard springs in my opinion.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
I'm not upgraging to Coilovers but if somebody else has they might be willing to sell their standard springs.
I really want to keep the car standard spec.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
The Eibach Pro-Kit springs are about as close as you can get to factory Cup springs. They maintain the original ride height and offer subtle changes in ride and handling, making the difference hard to notice. I installed them on my 182 after being unable to find a set of factory springs in good condition.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Ride height. Factory dampers, 16” Turinis and Eibach Pro_Kit. As I said above, it rides lovely.

IMG_3970.jpeg

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks.
Is yours a 182 Cup? Its difficult to find springs that state they are for a 172 Cup on the Eibach site.
Mine’s a 182 FF (both cup packs).

The part number you need is E10-75-001-02-22. They fit all MK2 Renault Clio Sports - 172, 172 Cup, 182, 182 CUP and Trophy.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Grams make 2 different types of springs. One type lower the car and are regarded as an upgrade to the original springs. These are the ones I have fitted to my 182.
They also make a spring that is a direct replacement for the standard springs.
You'll be very lucky to find original springs now as they haven't been available for some years, and the chances are most of them will have snapped by now. Most people will have fitted Grams, Cooksports, Eibach or Coilovers as a replacement.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Grams make 2 different types of springs. One type lower the car and are regarded as an upgrade to the original springs. These are the ones I have fitted to my 182.
They also make a spring that is a direct replacement for the standard springs.
i didn’t realise Grams offered multiple spring types; I thought they only made lowering springs. Do you know their spring rates?

It sounds very much like the Eibach Pro_kit and Proline range, with the latter being the shorter, stiffer type.

My first Clio 182 had Cooksport springs, and the ride was crashy - possibly due to worn dampers struggling with the stiffer rebound.

It really put me off using lowering springs with the factory dampers, as it completely ruined the ride for me.

I’ve heard the Bilstein B14 setup is a good compromise for lowering the car’s stance while still keeping a comfortable ride.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
i didn’t realise Grams offered multiple spring types; I thought they only made lowering springs. Do you know their spring rates?

It sounds very much like the Eibach Pro_kit and Proline range, with the latter being the shorter, stiffer type.

My first Clio 182 had Cooksport springs, and the ride was crashy - possibly due to worn dampers struggling with the stiffer rebound.

It really put me off using lowering springs with the factory dampers, as it completely ruined the ride for me.

I’ve heard the Bilstein B14 setup is a good compromise for lowering the car’s stance while still keeping a comfortable ride.
I don't know the spring rates. It just says that the spring rates are the same as the original springs. I've had the their lowering springs on my 182 for a couple of years now and I really rate them in terms of drop and handling.

ex-Chinese Dave

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks a lot Mr Underhill, I will look into them.(y)

I'm still looking for genuine 172 Cup springs if anyone knows of any.
I am changing my springs at Birchdown in a couple of weeks. They are on my 172 Cup now and have probably done the 127k that's on the car. You are welcome to have them. No idea if they are genuine items or not.