ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 Cup sudden power loss

Andyano12

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup + more
Hi everyone,

Coming to work today, halfway through the journey, I pulled out to overtake a car in second gear and planted my foot and the car just cut out, ignition still on but engine not running, I managed to coast to a layby where I decided to take a look to see if I could see anything obvious. It all looked fine, I then after a couple of minutes tried to start the car again and it started. Decided to pull away slowly again, it was fine, but then when I gave it a bit more revs, the power would abruptly die, so basically I could drive the car as long as I didn't use a huge amount of revs. I did get the car up to 4k revs by using only about a quarter of throttle. When the engine was losing power and when it cut out I had no EML come on.

The only thing I have done with the car recently was change the dog bone mount for an uprated one.

Any guesses other than it decided it wanted to be French and go on strike?

Andyano12

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup + more
Just an update..
The car began to struggle to start, it would crank but not fire straight away. I wiggled the wires which were connected to the crank sensor and tried again and it started. So I ordered from Renault a new crank sensor and loom, fitted it, it was a bit of a pig fitting the new loom and the car started fine afterwards and this morning so hopefully that will have solved the problem.(y)