ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 ph2 brake upgrade

Andyl20

ClioSport Club Member
Looking to refresh the braking system on my newly acquired 172. Will be using as a road legal track day car. Wanting to change discs and pads front and rear (rears need doing anyway as were an advisory on the latest MOT) and then thinking to upgrade to braided lines and refreshing brake fluid. When searching threads on here it seems brembo hc front discs are favoured and a mix of preferred pads.
Few questions:
Is it common to fit standard rear discs and pads alongside more performance oriented fronts due to the rears appearing not to have much use?

Do all performance related front pads require filing/adjustment before they will fit? It seems the ferodos do at least. What about PBS etc?

do caliper pistons need winding back or can they be pushed back? If the former are there specific piston winders

so far it seems the keenest prices are available on KAMRacing, but are there any other known traders I should be looking at?

Sorry for any seemingly dumb questions here. I am new to renaults in general so trying to get up to speed. Any advice greatly received.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Brembo discs front and rear are fine. Pads are more of a personal choice, a bit like tyres. Everybody has their favourites.
Front pistons just push in. Crack the bleed nipple, I just use my thumbs. Rear pistons wind in clockwise. Use a screwdriver or flat bar.

As Oss said above. George is the usual go to man for all things brakes.

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
Cheers @0ss @MRBILLYUK

Welcome along @Andyl20 , I'm a long standing Club trader and can get you sorted with your brakes and various other parts. Send me a PM with brief spec of car, how many track days vs road miles etc, and any questions you might have and I'll get some options across for you

If you've just got the car, check the little spacer washers are fitted behind the rear discs while at it, catch a lot of people out

Andyl20

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers @0ss @MRBILLYUK

Welcome along @Andyl20 , I'm a long standing Club trader and can get you sorted with your brakes and various other parts. Send me a PM with brief spec of car, how many track days vs road miles etc, and any questions you might have and I'll get some options across for you

If you've just got the car, check the little spacer washers are fitted behind the rear discs while at it, catch a lot of people out

Will PM now

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
The Ferodo compounds like DS2500 will fit ok. FCP406 shape. You have to always check there is enough play with any pad however. Its the DS1.11 thats the main culpret for needing a bit of filing as this is a different pad backing plate.
The PBS pads have no issues with size as they are based off the original backing plates.
We do the PBS brake pads here