ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 - Problem with throttle body?

Fabia vRS
Hi All,

I've just noticed a throttle problem with my 172. When travelling at slowish speeds (~30mph) the throttle appears to be rather irregular with very short bursts of acceleration and deceleration. This is despite the fact that my foot isn't moving on the pedal at all. It is more noticeable when in a low gear (i guess because the engine has more torque at the wheels), and especially more noticeable when the engine is cold. Could this be a throttle body issue or an issue with the electronics that control the throttle body? It isn't a serious problem yet although I'm slightly worried that it may become more serious. What do people think? Help appreciated :)

Clio 172 RS2
Guessing the idle sensor is faulty... due to oil & gunk in the TB.
Coming mainly from the crankcase breather... give it a good cleaning.

Should work wonders.

Or do a search to see others with similair problems.

Fabia vRS
Guessing the idle sensor is faulty... due to oil & gunk in the TB.
Coming mainly from the crankcase breather... give it a good cleaning.

Should work wonders.

Or do a search to see others with similair problems.

What does the idle sensor do? Just curious. Never heard of it before or does it have other names?

Clio 172 RS2
Regulates the idle (just a sensor for the ECU)... so when stationary, just idling along.

Or the Idle Control Valve; acting as a gate allowing various amounts of air into the engine. Can stick so it let's too much air in or starve it.

Could also be your TDC sensor.
Top Dead Center sensor for again the ECU.
Located on top the bellhousing.

Should run smooth though...

Did you do a search?

There are many reasons for the engine running rough though!

Faulty coolant temp. sensor, ECU thinks the water temp is higher then it is, so no enrichment of the mixture takes place. (cold engine!)

All in all... cleaning to rectify or replacement of sensors.

Vantage
loll sorry but i couldnt help laughing at your avatar

profilepic44896_1.gif

mcloving!!!

Nothing at the mo :(
Hi All,

I've just noticed a throttle problem with my 172. When travelling at slowish speeds (~30mph) the throttle appears to be rather irregular with very short bursts of acceleration and deceleration. This is despite the fact that my foot isn't moving on the pedal at all. It is more noticeable when in a low gear (i guess because the engine has more torque at the wheels), and especially more noticeable when the engine is cold. Could this be a throttle body issue or an issue with the electronics that control the throttle body? It isn't a serious problem yet although I'm slightly worried that it may become more serious. What do people think? Help appreciated :)

Mine does this but when its cold, i put it down the twin cam thingys not coming into effect until the engine is warm

Fabia vRS
Regulates the idle (just a sensor for the ECU)... so when stationary, just idling along.

Or the Idle Control Valve; acting as a gate allowing various amounts of air into the engine. Can stick so it let's too much air in or starve it.

Could also be your TDC sensor.
Top Dead Center sensor for again the ECU.
Located on top the bellhousing.

Should run smooth though...

Did you do a search?

There are many reasons for the engine running rough though!

Faulty coolant temp. sensor, ECU thinks the water temp is higher then it is, so no enrichment of the mixture takes place. (cold engine!)

All in all... cleaning to rectify or replacement of sensors.

Cheers guys,

I'll clean the throttle body and sensors when I next service the car. Obviously I'll have to do it sooner if it becomes a big problem.

I did a search on cleaning the throttle body but I didn't manage to find much. Are there guides on CS?

Clio 172 Cup
I currently have the same problem with mine, it does seem to happen only when the engine is cold, doesnt last long though but its annoying