ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 VIN/Build Plate Location

Ph1 172; MX5
Hi all,

Wonder if you can help me. I have a 2000 Clio 172, originally a UK car which I imported to Ireland in October 2008.

I presented it this week at our equivalent of the MOT, the NCT and some regulation was changed since I was last there where they check the chassis number but no longer accept a sticker - eg the number has to either be stamped into the shell or read off a build plate.
So they no longer accept the one in the windscreen or the sticker on the drivers side b-pillar.

The thing is - I can't f**king find it. I've tried under both seats, in the boot, checked footwells, on the bulkhead, under bits of carpet but no joy. I know Renault delivered the shells to Dieppe and RenaultSport built the cars but would the shells have had a VIN on delivery or would RS simply have attached the build plate sticker to the B-pillar?

If so, I have two options. I can get a letter from Renault stating this, or I was told I can go to the cops and get a letter stating that VIN xxx is mine and pass the test.

Seems stupid but I guess it's to crack down on ringers, so perhaps not a bad thing.

In contrast, I bought an early MX5 recently and that has the VIN stamped into the shell in about six places...