ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 Cup stereo help

RB 182 Cup,E46 M3 CS
Hi all

So I've just bought this thing, and the garage I bought it from acknowledged that the stereo didn't work all the time. They hastily gave me an aftermarket head unit with the correct connectors and I was on my way. The stereo works some of the time, 90% of the time i turns on and I have information the digital display, but only get sound 20-30% of the time and seems to skip off when hitting bumps or opening and closing the door. I've checked the connections at the back and they are connected (the steering wheel controls work as well) ok. I have tried to fit the aftermarket stereo and whilst it was powered again no sound.

Any idea folks? Once I put the original stereo back in I tried to input the code but apparently it was incorrect and now I have the code 'ERROR' on the digital display.

Listerine & Poledo
Could well be an issue with the stereo itself, if it's one they've had sat out the back for the last 4 years in a damp room.

RB 182 Cup,E46 M3 CS
Well yes, I wonder whether the OEM stereo that was in wasn't the original stereo for the car (hence the code from the book not being correct, I'm 95% sure I put the right code in) but it is a bit strange that two seperate head units wouldn't work in the same way. I'm not convinced the one they gave me was definitely working to begin with but it doesn't look that old or well used.

Listerine & Poledo
There are at least 2 different head units used in Clios.

Tuner List
Update List

possibly more

And, from what I've been led to understand, you can't swap between them, because of......something.

In fairness, even the cheapest JVC offering will be 300% better quality than an OEM unit.

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
@123dan
If you get error display you have been given the wrong stereo - there are 2 types "tuner list" and "update list".

The tuner list is on the early phase 2 clios and the update list is for later phase 2 clios - from later 05 plates onwards. What is the reg plate of yours and what type is the stereo they have given you?

RB 182 Cup,E46 M3 CS
Do you think it’s the wrong unit? The OEM head unit was working intermittently, it seemed to either have no power at times or no audio despite the radio being tuned or a cd playing.

After checking the aftermarket unit I put the ‘original’ stereo back in and then needed the code. There was a code in the book but after putting it in I just get the message ‘ERROR’ and that’s still the case today.

The head unit is a ‘Cabasse’ unit or something? I wonder if this is above my pay grade (I bloody hate electronics), maybe need a stereo guy somewhere around here..

Listerine & Poledo
Short of having one of each, which are known to work, and trying each of them, I'm kind of out of ideas chap.

Would Renault be able to tell you from their records? May be worth a try.

If no joy, grab an aftermarket stereo and get someone else to wire it in ;)

RB 182 Cup,E46 M3 CS
Cheers fella, I might have a chat to Renault directly or maybe take it into my nearest dealership. I'm sure they know everything they need to know about these cars ;)

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
Sorry if I am missing the point here but can't you take it back to DTM and ask them to fix it?
F@ck paying Renault to fix it!

RB 182 Cup,E46 M3 CS
It's a 6 hour round trip back to DTM, I've already contacted them about it but the usual post sales silence happening right now.!