ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 - possible Head Gasket failure - please advise.

Clio 182 2004
Hey guys! Me again.

Just a quick catch up. I bought a 2004 Clio182 this summer. Immediately the cambelt failed and I had to do a top end re-build. Here is the thread:
http://www.cliosport.net/threads/please-help-with-engine-issue-182-2004.776949/

Since then the car has been perfect for 6 months and I have really enjoyed it. It has covered 950 miles since the re-build.

Today it was making a slightly odd sound, nothing major, but I'd just thought I'd check under the bonnet. Was probably just a wet belt.

I noticed this first, some engine oil in the offside rubber engine mount recess.
b_zpssvwqqiwh.jpg

Wasn't too worried about that, was expecting a small leak at some point due to the rather complicated cam cover arrangement. No big deal.

Then noticed some white scum in some of the oil just under the same engine mount spanning bracket.
c_zpsgjygcejm.jpg

Next checked the oil filler cap. Covered in white scum. Cleaned it off and ran engine again and scum returned straight away.
a_zpsngjblbqc.jpg

Do we think this is def a HG failure? Could it be something else?

Gutted - I spent ages on the re-build making sure everything was perfect. All gaskets and bolts were replaced in the re-build (genuines from Engine Dynamics)., including HG. I guess it's unlikely that a part has failed, so must be something I did wrong.

My impulse now is to rip it all apart to try to find the fault, but I best ask you guys first rather than jump striaght in.

What do we think?

Thanks
Jon

Last edited:
  Clio 182 2004
take it to your local garage for a block test, only takes a couple of mins to do.
or do it yourself.....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL...hash=item232b186c68:m:mBetKnhOvI4hlfwKeG_0WrQ

Understood - I'll research this now. Thanks

did you torque the head properly?

Hi. well I'm pretty OCD and I followed the workshop manual to the letter, with the torquing, angular torquing and sequencing. So I guess its pos that I made a mistake, but I 99.9% sure.

Clio 182 2004
just looking through the filler hole it looks perfect. Dark amber - 6 month old oil with few miles, just like it should I guess.

Just for general info purposes - are there any ways that the oil and water can mix other than the following?
- HG-related problem
- cracked head
- cracked block

I'm just trying to rule any other issues out, to make sure that I didn't make any errors above the HG. As far as I am aware the water doesn't go further up than the HG?

Block test looks simple. I'll probably just take it over to local garage and get them to block test it quickly in the morning.

Clio 182 2004
Genuine gasket? It can mix in the thermostat housing.

Hey Dan

- from memory the T/stat housing is on the side of the head BUT I never removed that assembly from the head so no scope for error there. I removed the rubber water pipes from the assembly but no scope for error there either really.

- no not genuine HG, I forgot the make but Andy @ E/Dynamics said it was better than OE H/G so thats the one I went for. I wasn't supposed to use any sealant on the HG was I? Just dry.

- just checked coolant level in header tank and no loss at all there, but that may not be indicative or real water levels.

- no over-heating issues by the way

- lets see what tomorrow's Block Test shows up I guess

Has it been doing a lot of short journeys? Is the breather choked? It could just be condensation building and not evapourating up due to not getting up to temp (if short journeys) coupled with the cold weather setting in.

Corsa C's are murder for it. I was convinced my wifes one was away on her old car but it wasnt.

Drain a but oil out the sump see if its mixed there if not id bet its just condensation

Clio 182 2004
That's interesting Fraser.

It has ONLY done short journeys. Literraly only half a dozen journeys have been over 2 miles. It never gets up to temp, naughty I know.

I don't quite follow you - is the beather the pipe coming out of the rear of the cam cover? Not sure why thati relavant.

Can you elaborate please in dumb person language for me? I'm not sure why short journeys would put water into the oil?

Thanks

That's interesting Fraser.

It has ONLY done short journeys. Literraly only half a dozen journeys have been over 2 miles. It never gets up to temp, naughty I know.

I don't quite follow you - is the beather the pipe coming out of the rear of the cam cover? Not sure why thati relavant.

Can you elaborate please in dumb person language for me? I'm not sure why short journeys would put water into the oil?

Thanks

Thats the pipe mate, just what it says it allows it to breathe so if it's choked there is nowhere for the oil/water vapour created when the engine is running to go.

dan's cast offs.
being able to breathe doesn't make much difference when an engine is warming up, the pic i posted is from a perfectly healthy engine with no breathing problems.

Clio 182 2004
Hey guys just got back from garage. They block tested and no sign of exhaust gas in teh coolant so I am in the clear! Yipee!

I need to keep the same short journey routine so from now on my routine will include:
- a long drive at least twice a month
- extra regular oil changes(i am guessing water in oil is bad one way or another)
- i'll remove that breather pipe just to check everything is clear

I'll also have a search for the external offside oil leak, but it's nothing major obviously so not gunna worry to muc about that.

Thanks very much for the help as always :smile: