ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio 182 starting issues, any help please

Cullen0406

ClioSport Club Member
So I have been away for 3 months, and have come back to start the car and as expected it was dead, battery jumper pack started the car no issues, took it for a 40min drive, hoping that would work,( which in a previous occasion it did) however this time after the 40min drive still needed the battery pack to start the car, central locking works, light come on the dash, get the car to click and begin to turn but not fully like a second then dead, with the battery pack starts up no issue, no hesitation.

This morning was my first real opportunity to take the car for a longer drive hoping it was just a case that the battery hadn't charged enough from the previous drive

I have done 130 odd miles, driving for 2 and 1/2 hours varying from cruising on motorway to bit of spirited driving on A roads in the highlands, car never missed a beat, stopped at local shop to get a drink, went to start the car again and after all that nothing, still the same 1 sec turn over then dead

So because it starts fine with a battery pack, would it be ok to assume in this issue a bad earth isn't the cause?

my line of thinking is either the battery is gone or the alternator is not holding charge

so plan is to do a battery voltage check, how can I test the alternator?

or any other ideas you guys have?
Starter Motor?

cheers
Ben

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Battery is knackered by the sounds of it. Best off disconnecting it, or leaving on trickle charge if laid up for a decent period.

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
Have you access to a volt meter? Check battery voltage when engine is running, should see 13 odd volts if alternator is charging correctly
If you want to eliminate a bad earth, take a jump lead from negative terminal to a solid point such as engine lifting hook or similar. Does sound as if its the battery goosed
If its laid up often and outside, get a solar panel trickle charger to keep the battery in good condition, some have a 12v plug on them so dont need to attach to battery terminals

Cullen0406

ClioSport Club Member
Forgot to update this, Went and got a new battery Saturday night and 30mins later swapped over fired up straight away no issues and none since.
thanks for your help guys