ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 steering rack

Clio 182
Has anyone ever had an issue with their steering rack on 182 creaking really loudly?

If so what was the issue? The car has new inner and outer tie rod ends and all the ball joints are fine. I’ve also had the car in the the air and it’s defo coming from the rack itself. I’ve also put new poly bushes on it to eliminate that.

Clio 182
Has anyone ever had an issue with their steering rack on 182 creaking really loudly?

If so what was the issue? The car has new inner and outer tie rod ends and all the ball joints are fine. I’ve also had the car in the the air and it’s defo coming from the rack itself. I’ve also put new poly bushes on it to eliminate that.
Pretty sure I have this same issue, I hear creaking from the steering rack when I turn left or right, going to change it over tomorrow hopefully

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I've had the same issue for a while and have been trying to fix it for a while now. I would get the creaking, but I would also get a metallic snap/clunk when turning at slow speeds/stationary.
The track rod ends are fine, and its been passing MOTs all the time. I'd thought it may be subframe mounts but those bolts are tight as buggery.
If you put your left foot on the footrest/dead pedal then move it up behind the dashboard a little, you can feel the UJ of the steering column. I can feel it clunking/snapping through there.
I've got new solid top mounts, new shocks, etc.
The other day I was trying to think of what is moving under the car when steering lock to lock. I wondered if it could be the ARB binding in its wishbone mount. I sprayed a ton of WD40 on it and it seems to have relaxed from a clunk/snap, to a groan/creak.
Going to get the wheel off and liberally apply some more WD or maybe even grease.
Not saying its the same thing as yours, but thought I'd reply as I haven't seen anyone find a solution to this. There's a Clio Trophy on YouTube with the same issue but I think the owner ended up selling it.
Definitely interesting in pooling our experiences to fix this though! :D

Clio 182
I've had the same issue for a while and have been trying to fix it for a while now. I would get the creaking, but I would also get a metallic snap/clunk when turning at slow speeds/stationary.
The track rod ends are fine, and its been passing MOTs all the time. I'd thought it may be subframe mounts but those bolts are tight as buggery.
If you put your left foot on the footrest/dead pedal then move it up behind the dashboard a little, you can feel the UJ of the steering column. I can feel it clunking/snapping through there.
I've got new solid top mounts, new shocks, etc.
The other day I was trying to think of what is moving under the car when steering lock to lock. I wondered if it could be the ARB binding in its wishbone mount. I sprayed a ton of WD40 on it and it seems to have relaxed from a clunk/snap, to a groan/creak.
Going to get the wheel off and liberally apply some more WD or maybe even grease.
Not saying its the same thing as yours, but thought I'd reply as I haven't seen anyone find a solution to this. There's a Clio Trophy on YouTube with the same issue but I think the owner ended up selling it.
Definitely interesting in pooling our experiences to fix this though! :D
I ended up giving mine to ktec, turned out it was loose suspension and universal joint, also had tracking done and its been mint ever since

Superwoman90

ClioSport Club Member
  Peugeot 207
On full lock moving forward or reversing slowly I experienced the issue you describe. I always thought it was just the lowering springs and never bothered about it. The engine is out for some upgrades and mechanic discovered I need another power steering pump, basically it's knackered. Car not back on road yet and having coilovers fitted so not sure if it's cured the noise, fingers crossed.

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Interesting! Mine has a rather noisy PS pump after boiling the fluid last year at Llandow. But it made that noise before, after, and even when the fluid was drained & replaced.