ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 197 slow acceleration

Clio 3 RS 197
Hi

I have a 2008 Clio 197 R27, and it is very slow from the day I bought it.
Car is stock, I only had to change the exhaust manifold for Toyosports, but that didn't change performance.

For example, 0-64, second gear up to limiter, is exactly 9,0s. Should be 7,5s, right? I also tried other speeds, from a rolling start, and all figures, compared to Youtube and Zeperfs, suggests it lacks a lot of power. In lower gears it is even slightly slower than a Twingo RS 133, but in last 3 gears it is faster than a Clio 2.0 140.
So can't really say how much power it has, somewhere between 140 and 150HP.
One thing I also tried was, if it looses power at higher rpm, but no, it is fastest at 7400rpm.

But what is very strange, car makes 185HP on a dyno.
img5616.jpg

And I am at a loss here, as I have no idea what would make a car loose power on a road.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
The book 0-60 requires zero mechanical sympathy. No idea why anyone would bother with their own car!

The 197 isn't that quick, light on torque etc. Compare it to another 197, that's the only way to know for sure if it's actually slow.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Dyno could be wrong. Infact based on what you've said the dyno is definitely wrong unless you carry 200kg of bricks in your boot with you?

Clio 3 RS 197
I know 0-60 is not ideal, and puts stress on mechanical components. That's why I only did it a couple of times, most of the time I measure 50-75 (in different gears), 25-87 and 50-112, same as used on Zeperfs, and it is far from those figures.
http://www.zeperfs.com/en/fiche1594-renault-clio-iii-r27.htm

Yeah, dyno could not be accurate, as stopwatch certainly can't lie. But they compared it to other Clio 197's, and the graphs matched, except for the 2400rpm drop.
I also have one photo from their monitor where it shows wheel power, and it is 156HP at 7300rpm, so 185HP at the flywheel seems ok (19% loss).
img5575.jpg

So dyno/road is the same thing, there isn't a sensor or something else that would make car go slower on a road?
Certainly weight, I also tought of that, but I really don't carry anything in my car.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Find a member locally with a 197. Ask them to take you out in theirs. I suspect you'll find no difference.

Clio 3 RS 197
The car was driven by 3 mechanics, and they all said the car goes normal, and 2 of them drove RS's before.
But looking at Youtube videos, car really picks revs up slowly, and I don't think you can judge just by driving, as said, they are slow anyway, I just want it the right slow.
This one does 80-120km/h 3rd gear in 4,6s, mine makes it in 5,6s. So even by this, I like Jeff's answer more.
Videos and stopwatch can't lie, can we at least agree on this?

I also tried this fix:

And the car was 0,5s faster, and this is certain, I don't just test one run, but several runs and take average in both directions. But why, does it matter if the sensor is not fixed? Then why would they not already fix it in factory?
I also tried removing MAP sensor, and it was another 0,5s faster (I would say 150HP+), but that probably because it enriches A/F ratio, also gas pedal was more sensitive, very enjoyable to drive.
But I didn't make any conclusion out of this, what do you think, is MAP good or bad?

Last edited: