ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 200 owner (to be) - thoughts

R26
Having had a 182 FF and 172 Cup when younger, I've always fancied getting back in to another RS Clio and currently on a serious hunt to find a nice example. Having done the 1*2 it's a 200 I am after - for my eyes the 200 looks more modern and reviews suggest it addressed some of the criticism so I have made up my mind on that front. Potentially found a good one on these forums which I am hopeful might be the "one" (I am quite picky with options/colour combos)!

My mind being more or less made up, I guess I want to set my expectations and just address the tiny doubt in my head that I'll be disappointed? Im far from old (under 30) but have owned and driven some fairly quick cars and the 200 will be replacing a 360bhp BMW Z4 35i. Has anyone made a similar move from a much more powerful car and been disappointed? The switch is purely a choice, not interested in saving money or cheaper fuel or insurance. I just grew tired of never being able to exploit the Zed's power and the frankly crap road handling. I don't want a Meg/Focus/CTR, don't really appeal....the Clio 200 is my first and only Hot Hatch choice.

Setting myself for a disappointing drive home from the chaps house or a refreshing change of back to basics motoring?

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Not at all mate IMO, although I am a pretty die-hard hot hatch guy.
My 200 has pretty much everything I'd want in a fairly old skool hot hatch, but it's still modern enough not to worry about. I say old skool with a pinch of salt... but meaning there's no DSG or turbos and it's pretty hardcore. I don't use mine as a daily driver, so I've semi-stripped it and bought a couple of buckets as well as upgraded the brakes and suspension etc. It never fails to make me grin like a mental, despite not being THAT fast in a straight line compared to even most modern diesels.

If you're looking for a fairly hardcore basic hot hatch, like your 182 on steroids then you'll do well with the 200.

R26
Re-assuring to hear.

My reasoning behind the 200 is exactly what you say....modern and decent to look at, fairly reliable, manual gearbox with revvy N/A engine, fantastic chassis and doesn't cost the earth to run.

It's only going to be a weekend car anyway with hopefully 3 - 4 track days a year (the O/H is keen to do her first track day this year and I thought a 200 would be a nice confidence inspiring first car for that).

New2RS

ClioSport Club Member
Recently switched from a 330bhp S3 to a standard 182 for mainly track purposes. No regrets whatsoever.
If however it was going to be a daily with no track time, I wouldn't have switched.

R26
Well I got my new car today but it wasn't a Clio 200! Ended up with a Meg R26.....the potential for power modifications was too great to pass up.
Handles brilliantly and I've already got a remap and milltek exhaust fitting booked in for next month!

Mec 350 slk manual
Well I got my new car today but it wasn't a Clio 200! Ended up with a Meg R26.....the potential for power modifications was too great to pass up.
Handles brilliantly and I've already got a remap and milltek exhaust fitting booked in for next month!
Stick some pics up

RS Clio 182

I went from a 200 to R26 recently - the RS tuning remap gives it some serious power! Great value for money cars.

R26
So far I'm very impressed. Sure it has a crap interior and is all a bit flimsy but the drive is great, really handles well and makes my E89 Z4 35i feel sloppy and uncontrolled in comparison. It could certainly do bit some more drama and the higher end pace is a bit flat but I'm sure the exhaust and remap will remedy those! Very happy and perfect got a weekend/track car, need to get some dates booked whilst it's still vaguely summer.

2ev8fn6.jpg

Clio 172
these worth considering then?

Im looking to purchase a 197 at the end of the year and have been swaying towards these just from the positive comments on here

though the handbrake looks odd!

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Depends what you've looking for really. An NA screamer or torque.
I went for the former in the end, rather than a 250 as I preferred the dimensions of the Clio. They're very similar underneath anyway, barring the diff.