ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 3 Dci “Steering fault” motor & ecu advice

DCI 86
Hi everyone,
I’m after a bit of advice, sadly sold my 182 some time ago but for some reason I still can’t resist a Clio (I’m a sucker for a blocked scuttle drain)
Anyways.. now own a 08 plate DCI which is idle for commuting etc, recently it came up with a “steering fault” and has no power steering. I’ve checked main fuses, and couldn’t see anything else obvious and got a mate to check fault codes.
I’ve seen a company that will overhaul the unit for £250 https://www.ecutesting.com/product-...o/power-steering-eps-electric-power-steering/
But I’m trying to keep running costs low and I can get a complete second hand unit for around £50 or just the ECU for £20, I’m quite capable of replacing the unit but I have no clue when it comes to the ECU side of things. Does anyone know if I can simply plug and play a secondhand steering motor and ecu in or would I need someone to reprogram it for me afterwards (making the overhaul option look more favourable)
Thanks in advance
Steve

Attachments

• 41FF911A-079F-4711-93AA-21EC7F970136.jpeg
    41FF911A-079F-4711-93AA-21EC7F970136.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 92
Last edited:
  DCI 86
I’ve done some more research and it appears you can swap the ECU over as long as the battery’s connected and it will work however if you ever disconnect the battery or loose battery power the ECU’s stop communicating and you have to fit your old steering ECU back to be able to start the car… this sounds a lot of Agro so I’m leaning towards send the unit off for overhaul. Will keep post updated.

Hi everyone,
I’m after a bit of advice, sadly sold my 182 some time ago but for some reason I still can’t resist a Clio (I’m a sucker for a blocked scuttle drain)
Anyways.. now own a 08 plate DCI which is idle for commuting etc, recently it came up with a “steering fault” Kodi nox and has no power steering. I’ve checked main fuses, and couldn’t see anything else obvious and got a mate to check fault codes.
I’ve seen a company that will overhaul the unit for £250 https://www.ecutesting.com/product-...o/power-steering-eps-electric-power-steering/
But I’m trying to keep running costs low and I can get a complete second hand unit for around £50 or just the ECU for £20, I’m quite capable of replacing the unit but I have no clue when it comes to the ECU side of things. Does anyone know if I can simply plug and play a secondhand steering motor and ecu in or would I need someone to reprogram it for me afterwards (making the overhaul option look more favourable)
Thanks in advance
Steve
try to look through ebay there are many options to look for there

DCI 86
Just an quick update to conclude the fault for if anyone has similar issue.
I was quite lazy and just drove the car with no PS for a few months, felt quite retro, until Mot time rolled around.
Tried a second hand steering module which didn’t cure the issue, and I can confirm they are coded to the car, mine worked (but didn’t cure fault) as i swapped it without disconnecting the battery, but as soon as you do, it immobilised the car so I had to put original unit back on and clear fault codes before I could restart.
I then removed the whole unit and sent it away to ECUtesting. Great service, and a quick turn around. They did say the unit would need reprogramming after rebuild though (not sure if this is the case on every unit or just because whatever they repaired on mine) refitted it and like magic I had working PS again! Although it then said “check steering” Instead of “stop steering fault” took it to local garage to have it reprogrammed (he said he had to put in vin number and wheel size, calibrate the steering angle bearing etc) Problem solved!
I do wonder if I’d got a complete secondhand unit with motor and ECU, fitted it and then got it reprogrammed if that still would of worked rather than the cost of overhauling the old unit?
But I’ve no real experience with diagnostic equipment etc and besides i now have a flashy steering unit worth half the value of the car with a life time guarantee on it 😂
Hope this may help someone and thanks Jarred for the advice :)
Steve