ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio loud jet noise

PH2 clio 1.2 16v
So I bought a clio with a loud (fan or jet) type noise which kicks in at 35 mph continues through the mph not changing in consistency or loudness with clutch in or changing gears or moving up the mph's

the clio has had a hit on drivers side door/sill (mid section)

door still closes etc so I'm driving her on and passed MOT ok aswell which helps.

I have no idea what is causing the noise but it does sound bad from the inside of the car.

I have noticed the noise disappears going round the roundabout so turning right.

Cheers guys for any advice.

PH2 clio 1.2 16v
that was my first guess but in my experience dave they usually have a whining tyre noise? my problem sounds more like a jet or very loud fan im not the best as describing noises lol

To be sure im gonna get the spare wheel out.

PH2 clio 1.2 16v
How will getting the spare wheel out help?

Good point i was thinking the bearings where in the wheel like a motorbike wheel lol but theres really not much to the car wheel.

Is this a job better left to a man fit for the job or can it be done with your everyday tools? il be watching a video now anyways.

Cheers for advice

172 Turbo
Not difficult, hard part is swapping the bearing, last time I needed one doing I asked in the local motor factors if they knew anyone who could do it.

PH2 172
Is this a job better left to a man fit for the job or can it be done with your everyday tools? il be watching a video now anyways.

Cheers for advice

If you are intending to keep the car for a few years,I`d bite the bullet and replace both front wheel bearings,ball joints,track rod ends,tie rod gaiters & drive shafts (about £150 worth ) in one hit and have no further problems.

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
You can get a press for the bearings for 75 quid on ebay that will do the job. Just a bottle jack in a frame, thats what I use.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
I've never been able to use a press without nearly killing someone.
Even a proper Clarke bearing press, damn near blinded my mate with the f**king thing!

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
How!? I've never managed to cause carnage with mine, and have been known to do incredibly irresponsible things with it...