ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio number 10, RB 182 Cup

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah they were, should be a receipt from renault parts direct in the paperwork

edit: found order email, 4th of january 2016

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
f**king typical! Ah well saves me looking through the history for it cheers.

It was defo ok when it got mot'd I was underneath having a decent look about.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
So the bad news is the new bearing hasn't sorted it. Taken the driverside off and if anything it's better but will get a second opinion before changing that too.
Looks like this might get a ph1 box soon!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Nothing's happened since putting it back together other than I've just driven it to inverness. The stereo fixed a lot of the noise....

IMG_9028.JPG

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I changed my front bearings over this weekend as well John.

Mine still whines which makes me think it's the rears, but they aren't even a year old. Saying that's, I did have a issue a while back of the rear hub bolts being loose so I think k that hasn't helped.

Friggin' cars eh?

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
@Dr Jekyll My drone is defo from the front so its either that driveshaft bearing or the box. I bet I know which one it is.

These wouldn't load as attachments for some reason but they were taken on the same journey

32399140810_8d10425c08_c.jpg
Untitled by john.holligan, on Flickr

32779159785_b8daa0a670_c.jpg

31965062583_5db999ab74_c.jpg

I now have 4 straight williams wheels and 1 bent one so I could have matching wheels now. Just not colourwise! 3 anthracite ones and 2 gold ones, one of which is bent :(

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Yeah surprised me too!

Certainly got no regrets about getting back in a Clio, just wish I had the cash to run a toy alongside it. Or rather another one, seeing as how my other car is the flamer!

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
Rb is a great colour, looks good in the snow

And lets face it, clios are so cheap to run/buy and they do as you say everything thays needed, they are hard to beat

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
That's it, I'm very sure there is better out there but nothing I could buy without a loan. And tbh I'd rather save to go on holiday with the family than drive around in something posher.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Just a shame that they are getting older and parts will need changing.

Saying that, as Stefano said, they are fairly cheap to fix. Clios are fun, full stop and they always come back!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Yup, I can see me running them for a good long time still. As said above I'd love to try out different stuff as well but it would have to be in addition to the Clio, we all saw how long I lasted when I sold the flamer!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
So er, ignore what I said above. This is probably gonna be for sale soon 😧

Flamer took quite a lot of cash to sort and I've now got a basically free car (Passat) so having to make some big boy decisions. Unfortunately the rb would clear the flamer bill and allow me to invest in it.

I'm very in 2 minds but unless someone wants to sponser my trackdays I'm not sure what else to do.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Thf mate you've done some great journeys in it. The good thing is its a sort after colour so hopefully itll be an easy sale if you definantly decide to sell up.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Yeah true. It's genuinely been great, I'll change the box regardless of what's happening with it but it really has been my perfect daily.

But the choice is between this and the flamer and it's pretty obvious how that's going to pan out!

If I do sell then then I'd love another RB when I'm in a position too.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
The next owner of the flamer will be the man with the big crusher who can turn it into coke cans.

I love the rb, genuinely don't want to sell it but something's gotta give.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Best get this up to date eh? From doing about 1000 miles a month its only done nearly 2000 since the start of the year. A lot of that is to do with being off work but also using the flamer more and this being broken. Having changed the rear pads and discs and then the wheel bearing with play in it the droning noise was still there, a few of us all diagnosed it as the diff due to not changing with turning and it not being a typical wheel bearing drone/helicopter taking off type noise. So finally decided it was time to put my good ph1 box in it.

IMG_1145.JPG
IMG_1155.JPG
IMG_1156.JPG

Which did precisely f**k all. Which was just great. Drove it home from Daves work and then didn't even look at it for about a fortnight. Only things left were the drivers wheel bearing and the driveshafts. So for the sake of £50 I whipped the hub off and Dave pressed the bearing in for me at his work. And that sorted it. Now lets never speak of this again. The only real benefits of all that work is I've got longer gearing for all the MPGs and I can change into 3rd quickly which I couldn't on the old box. Great.

Having got it working I figured it was time to take my Mums wheels off it and put the 182 wheels on that I bought for selling it on, they're a bit rough and get filthy after only 50 miles but I don't hate them as much as I thought I would. We'll see what happens with them in the future. They've only got some shite Nankangs on but the flamer looks great on the superleggeras! I might put them up for a swap for some good 15s that would suit the flamer. First thing was to paint over the random red "bolts" with some RB touch up that I have.

IMG_1344.JPG

IMG_1329.JPG

And just realised I don't have a pic with the whole car with the centre caps on!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Finally got round to giving this an oil change, just 2500 miles late (I do it every 5k) various reasons for the delay but mostly depression and the can't be bothereds.

Anyway, that's it on 142,500 miles and I figured I wouldn't be fitting my alcantara a pillar trims back into the flamer so they may as well go in this.

IMG_1395.JPG

And then remembered to take pics of how it looks on the white wheels

IMG_1396.JPG
IMG_1397.JPG

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
More excitement...

Not sure this was entirely worth it but it's done now. The front seats were showing a little wear and I've got some mint seats out of a ph2 vee. Think they will have now done about 30k so I fired them in despite the colours being slightly different.

IMG_1404.JPG
IMG_1406.JPG
IMG_1407.JPG

Still it's done now and it won't be getting undone!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Wife was beginning to lose it, they've been in the spare room since Feb/march time having only been put there for "a couple of days"!

Think some new plates will be next for it, probably the smaller one for the front.

Still not sure what to do wheel wise, the nankangs aren't actually as bad as I expected and defo better than t1r's! But white just doesn't work for me.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Nice work there John boy!

Can you not just refurb the wheels? Cost about £200ish?

Nice to have better seats now. How comes it's a different shade? I know the alcantara on the ph2s are different from 172-182, the latter having white dots.

With regards to the newly fitted box and bearing, at least it's done now. Stressful at the time but it's fixed and you have a good gearbox fitted. Can't knock it.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I'd rather spend my imaginary money on the flamer tbh! But yeah, will maybe refurb them someday.

Sorry yeah, all the same shade just without the white dots.

Aye, was a bit extreme but at least it's done, it's the box from the flamer so is on 119k without a refurb and still better than the one that was on it!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Decided that at some point soon I'll put the 182 wheels up for a swap for 15s for the flamer and put this back on the superleggeras. No rush though.

Had a work trip up to Lochgilphead last week, stopped for a couple of pics on the way.

IMG_1453.JPG
IMG_1455.JPG

It did really well, genuinely faultless bar the stupid exhaust. It's fine at a cruise but once it gets warm when having some fun it takes a long time to stop being boomy.

The ph1 box also helped it get 44mpg on the 135 miles up. Was a bit quicker on the way down by quite a lot and ended up with 39.5 for the full trip. Really can't complain at all about that imo.