ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio rev 2000rpm constant - no throttle response

PH2 clio 1.2 16v
Ok so the wee clio was only on the road 2 days from having the wishbone replaced and now i have been hit with this problem which i don't have much clue about. Its a 1.2 2004 clio.

So it started a few months back when to test the clio out i give it heaps of rev then changed the gear and i mean it would be near maxxed on revs then change gear and the clio would stall and bring up this warning light (down below) that was my first encounter of this problem. after turning off and on the ignition the clio would run 100% unless i was to rev out each gear so didn't seem much of a problem to me.
Untitled_Custom.png

I did a bit of offroading yesterday and got the underneath of the car quite muddy but no heavy hits or anything like that so today i did about 10 miles driving then went to start the car up from being at a shop and noticed this light appeared but it was driving fine. so about 10 miles later and the fuel tank near empty i parked up at a friends house for about 30 mins then went to start it up and the car has no throttle response and revs constant at 2000 rpm when i give the throttle a go the rev indicator drops as if taking off from the clutch. The engine management light is now also on after i disconnected the battery and put it back on.

I see a lot of different suggestions on other posts some quite pricey its quite surprising how it just decided to give up like that. Any suggestions would help i'm gonna give the throttle body a clean tomorrow and check the wiring + fuses.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
That needs looking at chap (I know... obviously). It'll be either wiring or ECU related though

Mick

Renault Clio Mk2
You took a clio off roading? Brave man;) looks like the coil pack light? Not 100% though! Did the exact same thing on a works van I was driving

PH2 clio 1.2 16v
Bad earth maybe, have you checked the earth strap from the gearbox?

Checked cleaned and wd40 the earth also cleaned the throttle body which had a thick sticky residue all over it. airfilter was quite clogged also.

Il throw it together in the morning and my mates gonna plug his diag tool in and check for faults my moneys on the accelerator pedal sensor atm.

PH2 clio 1.2 16v
i cleaned her up (throttle body, inlet manifold, airfilter, cleaned all wiring gear box earth, pedal sensor and any dirty oily bits around the engine)

I'm not sure where the problem was most likely jammed throttle body lever.

cheers guys.

PH2 172
Looks like the coil pack light? Not 100% though! Did the exact same thing on a works van I was driving

Unless you drive a petrol engined works van,I think we can disregard these words of wisdom.
It`s an electrical fault warning light & could indicate anything from a myriad of possibilities.

Renault Clio Mk2
Unless you drive a petrol engined works van,I think we can disregard these words of wisdom.
It`s an electrical fault warning light & could indicate anything from a myriad of possibilities.
as i said i wasn't 100% sure, no need to get sarcastic

PH2 172
as i said i wasn't 100% sure, no need to get sarcastic

Did I deserve that?
I watched Dave Gilmore on the Andrew Marr show this morning.
He (DG) admitted that it would probably be inadviseable in todays climate of general ignorance to release a single with the lyrics "We don`t need no education",but that Roger(Waters) penned the lyrics as a comment on the social indoctrination he received as part of his education.

PH2 clio 1.2 16v
Did I deserve that?
I watched Dave Gilmore on the Andrew Marr show this morning.
He (DG) admitted that it would probably be inadviseable in todays climate of general ignorance to release a single with the lyrics "We don`t need no education",but that Roger(Waters) penned the lyrics as a comment on the social indoctrination he received as part of his education.

Bad news guys the problem is back only now its revving around 3000rpm's and back firing every 5 seconds.

I will check the throttle body tomorrow seems like the cold weather is a catalyst to my problem as both times where at night and only had it on the road maybe 10 mins then parked her up 30 mins-1 hour then bang shes forgotten how to accelerate.

Anyone any ideas of what is going on it was running 100% for two days. just a new throttle body needed or air leaks?

PH2 172
Bad news guys the problem is back only now its revving around 3000rpm's and back firing every 5 seconds.

I will check the throttle body tomorrow seems like the cold weather is a catalyst to my problem as both times where at night and only had it on the road maybe 10 mins then parked her up 30 mins-1 hour then bang shes forgotten how to accelerate.

Anyone any ideas of what is going on it was running 100% for two days. just a new throttle body needed or air leaks?

Mick pointed you in the right direction.Shame your location means you cant take it to him.
Chaffing of the wiring over the ECU bracket is common on 1.2`s,and general corrosion in the engine bay fuse box wiring common to all PH2`s.
Replacing throttle body or pedal is UNLIKELY to cure the problem.
If you can borrow parts for substitution is one thing,buying them and not achieving a result is another.
Get the fault codes read,but bear in mind that the problem will likely be the wiring,not the hardware.
Good luck with it.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Just replace the short ignition loom with a brand new one... that'll set you back around £170. If that doesn't cure it, the ECU will most likely need sending away to be refurbished.

PH2 clio 1.2 16v
Just replace the short ignition loom with a brand new one... that'll set you back around £170. If that doesn't cure it, the ECU will most likely need sending away to be refurbished.

i will see if I can salvage a short ignition loom hopefully the ecu isn't gone. had to replace the airbag ecu that was a nuisance.

Cheers Mick didn't take the time on those parts had myself convinced she was running after a thorough cleaning not the case though.