ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Rsi mk2 Phase 1 - Suspension fitment

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
Afternoon,
In the process of ordering new suspension parts for the Rsi. I had thoughts of coilovers, but cant find anything specific for these cars, nor do I know what the bolt spacing is or weather coilovers from other models of clio will fit.
My other idea was to replace the standard suspension items with ones from the 172 phase 1, I know the back shocks fit, but other than that I can find no more information.
I really hope someone knows dont fancy a couple of hundred ££ gamble on suspension.

Thanks,
Jack.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
I imagine with those measurements it’ll just be any non sport suspension that will fit.

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
I imagine with those measurements it’ll just be any non sport suspension that will fit.
Bugger, going to re measure on the weekend in the Hope's its different, ideally wanted to put a set of 172 cup shocks and spring on, especially seems as they are half price from RPD

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
If it’s 58mm then 60mm spaced shocks are only a small file away from fitting.

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
Measure top of one hole to top of the other. As long as both holes are the same size that's the most accurate way to check spacing.
This may be where I've gone wrong then, I've measured from the top of one hole to the bottom of the other.

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
If it’s 58mm then 60mm spaced shocks are only a small file away from fitting.
Would I have any other fitment issues? Or will everything else match up?

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Yes that's wrong, measure top to top, bottom to bottom or middle to middle

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Chances are yours is 52mm if you’ve measured it like that. There are kits out there for that spacing.

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
Going to have a check on the weekend when I've got a spare second, I shall update with the findings

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
Re-measured, it is definitely 58mm.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
If you want something uprated then google Clio 58mm suspension, there’s probably a wider choice for them than there is for cup packed 182’s!

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
If you want something uprated then google Clio 58mm suspension, there’s probably a wider choice for them than there is for cup packed 182’s!
Dont suppose I could just file the bolt holes and fit some 60mm 182 cup suspension? Or is it not that simple?

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
I don’t see how it would cause any issues. It’s a very small amount to take off.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Non sport are always 58mm holes

If you want to re-drill 182 shocks then use a straight edge and take your time getting it perfectly straight. Otherwise you'll have some camber on one side and none on the other 😂

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Dci is also 58mm bolt spacing.

You might have problems using 60mm clio sport struts, as they are probably m14 bolts compared to m12 on non sport, and possibly thicker upright on the hub, would need to check that.

Plenty of aftermarket shocks available in 58mm, koni, bilstein etc but quite expensive. Bang a set of eibach springs on new original shocks, 172/182 cup shocks on the rear, job done.

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
Dci is also 58mm bolt spacing.

You might have problems using 60mm clio sport struts, as they are probably m14 bolts compared to m12 on non sport, and possibly thicker upright on the hub, would need to check that.

Plenty of aftermarket shocks available in 58mm, koni, bilstein etc but quite expensive. Bang a set of eibach springs on new original shocks, 172/182 cup shocks on the rear, job done.
I feel that any be the right way to go, there are some TA Technik coilovers that are fairly cheap, however I just feel it's going to ruin the ride of the car and more than likely bump the Insurance up a touch too

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
I feel that any be the right way to go, there are some TA Technik coilovers that are fairly cheap, however I just feel it's going to ruin the ride of the car and more than likely bump the Insurance up a touch too

The ta technik are cheap for a reason, the Eibachs or a set of H&r springs will be miles better mate ;)

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
The ta technik are cheap for a reason, the Eibachs or a set of H&r springs will be miles better mate ;)
I agree, my thoughts are new front Sachs shocks from euro, 182 cup rear dampers and h&r lowering springs all round. The only thing that is a shame is that because of the wheel size there doesnt seem to be any decent tyre compounds, it's all just budget or eco tyres!

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
Domt suppose anyone knows If the wishbones differ? I can get a set of 182 wishbones for substantially cheaper than euro and the likes are offering.

Mk2 1.2 Campus
I had the same issue recently as mine is 58mm spacing and I didn’t want to ruin the ride as it’s a daily run about. I considered standard shocks so if that’s what you’re after then Kam Racing have new Bilstein B4 for the fronts for £40 a side.

I ended up ordering some Supersport Sprint springs and dampers but they’ve been discontinued. The supplier has given me a refund so I’m back to considering my options again.