ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio stability mods HELP!

M90SR

ClioSport Club Member
Right guys first post on here, lets get straight to the point.

I own a 2003 MK2 Clio 3dr 1.2 Dynamique and my journey consists of being on an A roads so about 50-70 average speed. This is my first car and I know that these cars are not made for the long journeys on the motorway but insurance is holding me back from getting a nice big diesel saloon.

I want to make the car feel more planted on the road and safer at 50-70mph ish its okay for some but I would like to make it safer for myself. I was thinking about wider tyres? Would this benefit my car in stability on the motorway.

I also want harder turn in because my spare tire is removed so all the weight is biased to the front of the car and the last thing I want is loosing the back end going around a corner. Also I would like to reduce roll when going around a round about.

Sorry for being blunt feel free to ask for more info!

Cheers

Jay

Have you thought about lowering the car? You could get some springs or if you're happy spending the money, some coilovers. If you're scared that you'll lose the back end then why not just put the spare wheel back? The last thing you want is to get a puncture on the motorway and not have a spare.

M90SR

ClioSport Club Member
I wanted to make the car light because I am installing my sound system into it which consists of 2 x kicker solo baric 15" subs with a very very heavy MDF box. I am not your typical boy racer has the systems main focus is on SQ not SPL but the subs were there to be utilized so why not and I am doing a proper system install, new wiring, alternator, batteries etc... Anyways the car will get heavier so I wanted to save a little weight, as for the puncture well if it happens I will have to get someone to bring the spare tire to me :)

I thought about lowering and upgrading the shocks so I guess a coilover kit. Do you know any reputable companies to buy from and what make coilovers? I also want to purchase a set of 16" speedline turini alloys not only do they look nice but they seem to be wide which I like.

I realise having wider tyres will make my car less nimble in the corners however my main drive consists of me going straight and around the odd roundabout.

Thanks for the help!

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Have some extra driving lessons. Why would you lose the back end of the car without a spare wheel? How heavy do you think it is?