ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio torsion bars

anyone ever lowered the rear torsion bars themselves, difficult??, special tools??

any comments helpful.

Ta.

oh god its a long one. first take the caps off the ends of the beem were the bar gose in and give them a good spray with wd40 cos some times there hard to get out i would do that and leave it a bit to soak in. what year is the car?

snap! they mite be hard to get out so give them a good spray. there is a reno tool for the job i think but i used a long bolt and nut and a large socket the bolt must be the same size thread as the torsion bar thread. first put the nut on and screwing it up to the bolt head and put the nut through the socket them screw into the torsion bar as you scrw the nut to the socket the bolt will pull out the torsion bar. are you with me so far?

having never seen them, no. but please continue.

i will make a note of it all for when i have a go!

It will also be good referance for anyone else tackling it in the future!

think of it as community sevice;)

ha ha. well when you get it out its a long bar with splines on each end also its marked red and yellow ( if i remember correctly) drivers side and the other side torsion bar is yellow and red passagers side. (you should give them a good clean wile there out to and greass them up in case you want to do it again another time) next jack up the rear arm to the hight you wantand try and slide the bar back in you mite not get it strate in you mite have to more the rear arm up and down a bit until it slides in ( its best to do one side at a time) then do the same on the other side. easy but hard to explaine.

any questions?

just one, could you clarify this statement?

and put the nut through the socket then screw into the torsion bar as you scrw the nut to the socket the bolt will pull out the torsion bar. are you with me so far?

other than than it seems tip top.

just took the covers off and sprayed them with plus gas. condition wise they look nice and clean in there!

do you mean something like this with the socket or am i barking up the wrong tree

http://www.btinternet.com/~weightspalace/stuff/torsion.jpg

there is a hole in the end of the torsion bar witch is threded. you have to screw the nut onto the bolt right to the head of the bolt then put the bolt through the socket and screw it into the torsio bar end and as you slacken the nut off the bolt it will pull through the socket and also pull the torsion bar out. bit like a corke screw affect. are you with me now?

yeah thats right. but the socket the other way around with the nut on the part you would normally put the ratchet

only if the above is correct, so im right in saying your using a normal socket as leverage against the nut connected to the bolt to force it out? yeah?

so the above sketch applies?? althou it sounds like your putting the bolt throu the other end of the socket.

but i think i know what you mean.

thats it mate god i need a a rest now thats hard to explain. but im pleased you got it let me konw how you get on mate

and its only the one under the cap?? as i noticed theres 2 bars running from one side to the other. and they all slot into a bracket thing in the middle, right??