ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio vs Saxo

Remapped derv Golf

Quote: Originally posted by jongsr4 on 29 January 2005

as for the 106 GTI/Saxo VTS/172 Debate...there really isnt that much between any of them....172 has more low down pull than my VTS/GTi had, but thats about it, Apart from that there isnt much in it
Until over a ton - bye bye VTS.

nope theyre aint much in em at all. its all down to gearing too dont forget. a valver and 172 will hit 150 ish top end revs a vts will only hit 130 top end revs. so has quicker gearing which helps it out a lot!

which is y im gettin a vtr box put in. 165mph top end. muwahahahaaa

Quote: Originally posted by jongsr4 on 29 January 2005
the 1.1 in the saxo is a pretty nippy little engine iirc, and judging by how slow my mums 1.4 16v is......the 1.1 saxo must surely be quicker than the 1.2 clioas for the 106 GTI/Saxo VTS/172 Debate...there really isnt that much between any of them....172 has more low down pull than my VTS/GTi had, but thats about it, Apart from that there isnt much in it

Totally agree.

172 cup'd extreme

its down to the driver a lot of the time, round my private race track my 1.2 16v has had many a VTR

Clio 200 Cup

Quote: Originally posted by Ben j on 29 January 2005

nope theyre aint much in em at all. its all down to gearing too dont forget. a valver and 172 will hit 150 ish top end revs a vts will only hit 130 top end revs. so has quicker gearing which helps it out a lot!
Quicker gearing??? A mk2 172s gearbox hardly differs from a VTS at all in terms of ratios and maximum in gear speed. 5th gear may be slightly longer but who cares? In VTS owners dream worlds, they are as quick as a 172 but in reality its bye bye from 3rd gear. Ive witness countless in gear acceleration tests between 106 gtis, vts and mk2 172s. As i said before, only about half a car to a car ahead in 1st and 2nd, then as soon as both cars are in 3rd onwards, it really is a case of bye bye mr vts. Im not saying they leave the vts for dead, but they do pull away slowly and consistently.

As for the original topic of the thread!!!!! That 60bhp 1.1 litre citroen engine is a good un! I started off with a Punto 1.2 which also had 60bhp and my mates saxo was a fair bit quicker. But dont forget, the 1.1 saxos do have 13" wheels as standard! My mate changed to 15s and the car became slow as fook.

Quote: Originally posted by stevoversteer on 29 January 2005
Quote: Originally posted by Ben j on 29 January 2005nope theyre aint much in em at all. its all down to gearing too dont forget. a valver and 172 will hit 150 ish top end revs a vts will only hit 130 top end revs. so has quicker gearing which helps it out a lot![/QUOTE]Quicker gearing??? A mk2 172s gearbox hardly differs from a VTS at all in terms of ratios and maximum in gear speed. 5th gear may be slightly longer but who cares? In VTS owners dream worlds, they are as quick as a 172 but in reality its bye bye from 3rd gear. Ive witness countless in gear acceleration tests between 106 gtis, vts and mk2 172s. As i said before, only about half a car to a car ahead in 1st and 2nd, then as soon as both cars are in 3rd onwards, it really is a case of bye bye mr vts. Im not saying they leave the vts for dead, but they do pull away slowly and consistently.<FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #407db6">As for the original topic of the thread!!!!! That 60bhp 1.1 litre citroen engine is a good un! I started off with a Punto 1.2 which also had 60bhp and my mates saxo was a fair bit quicker. But dont forget, the 1.1 saxos do have 13" wheels as standard! My mate changed to 15s and the car became slow as fook.

yea a longer 5th means slower overall acceleration. that and coupled with its smaller wheels helps em alot!
over 100 the massive bhp power difference will plough a 172 onwards with ease! but did u ever see the top gear vts vs 172 reveiw that was posted on here? round a track there was not much in it at all!

and as for original topic. totally agree! small wheels and no weight makes em rapid little buggers for what they are

Quote: Originally posted by stevoversteer on 29 January 2005

As i said before, only about half a car to a car ahead in 1st and 2nd, then as soon as both cars are in 3rd onwards, it really is a case of bye bye mr vts. Im not saying they leave the vts for dead, but they do pull away slowly and consistently.
I totally agree :)

[Edited by Jon_1 on 30 January 2005 at 12:01am]

RB182cup&golf gti

mmmm interesting debate ive just switched from a vts to a 182 and theyre different cars in terms of power distribution. I do think the vts is a very good underated car, does need to be revd hard to get the best out of it, loads more low down grunt in the 182, both great cars though.

A mate of mine has a 60bhp saxo and i used to have a 60bhp 106 and theyre both very capable nippy cars

renaultsport clio 182

clarkie started all this baby clios and saxos compare all day but like i say earlier hit the nail on the head i know ive had both 0 to 40 50 saxos there but after that cukoo cukoo night night.:D

RB182cup&golf gti

not really put this one to the test so difficult to say at the mo as roads aint the greatest this time of year. Saxo handled superbly tho, knew exactly what it was doing

[Edited by hoe261 on 30 January 2005 at 12:31am]

Veilsided MR2 Rev3 Turbo

You guys must have rubbish 1.2 16v, or just not know how to use them properly :p. I had a 53 plate 1.2 16v and it used to keep up with my mates 1.4 saxo vtr lookalike pretty easily. It had bit more top end, and even then it wasnt by much. Used to eat The new corsa 1.2 and keep up with the 1.4s as well. Nothing done to mine. This is going from lots of experiences, not just one instance.

I cant beleive what Im Seeing - the 182, 172 and both cups will destroy the saxo in any form, VTS or VTR. In a straight line goodbye saxo, in the twistys goodbye saxo, in the high street looking good stakes... goodbye saxo!!

ST

Quote: Originally posted by JEZZA182 on 30 January 2005

I cant beleive what Im Seeing - the 182, 172 and both cups will destroy the saxo in any form, VTS or VTR. In a straight line goodbye saxo, in the twistys goodbye saxo, in the high street looking good stakes... goodbye saxo!!
The man speaks the truth!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Ive raced a few saxos up the strip.. could barley see them in my rear view when I passed the line.

Dont get me wrong the saxos are nippy, but in my experience they werent even in the same league. I even raced one up the strip and forgot to turn off the aircon, still pasted it lol

megane coupe F7R

A Valver and a vts are on par i reckon. Both underated cars. A 172 will beat a vts no probs, but only as much as it will beat a valver which aint by much on the standing 1/4

Suzuki SV650

The 172 Clio handles like a boat tbh and the 106 GTI and Sax VTS would give it a sweat on the twisties I reckon, on the straight I guess its just how well the driver can change gear but the 172 would pull away a bit Id expect(Standard v standard obv.)

Just my two pennies.

2005 Impreza WRX STI

well, all u people with your heads in the clouds masterbating over your clios each night when u go to sleep..... if u have ever had a "fair" straight line sprint to a top speed with a gti or vts u will no there isnt much in it.last week on an airfield i had a race with a 260bhp calibra turbo n i wasnt far behind that. how do u expain that????

Theres not much at all between performance cars...like i said....unless theres a massive @wheel bhp gap

i hate saxos as much as anyone on here does but they are quick!

sorry for being a b**ch!;) ....And it was Dean who said the origional quote about clios not been up to saxos! he wrote it when i was logged in pi55ing about!

Quote: Originally posted by Clarkie172 on 29 January 2005

yes it is a known fact that the clio is a very slow car

even the more powerful range such as the 172 is not upto the pace of the saxo vts

Having owned a sax-slo vts prior to my current 182 - yes i kno the car in question is a 172- I have to disagree.

Engine wise my vts featured a remapped ecu, piper cams, and usual induction/exhaust mods.

I found that i had 2 give it some stick and rev it high 2 get a decent level of performance. Was fairly quick 0-60, quoted around 7.6 in evo mag, top end it just ran out of steam.

IMO the vts just doesnt compare 2 the Renault Sport line, both in terms of performance and reliablity.

I use the age old cliche, the grass is always greener on the otherside and having experienced both pastures the sh*t-roen sax-slo comes a poor 2nd.

Jonny

3 MPS

my best time at crail was 14.9 in the cup, my mates best time at crail in his 106 gti was 15.6. so there was not much in that but i know i can get my time down , thats the best he will get imo. i have also had a few runs on the motorway and i start to pull away a good bit by 100 and the gti starts to struggle . both our cars are standard .

gti,s are mint cars and i would probably think twice about having a go with one on the twisties .

Clio 200 Cup

^^^^^ Agreed about the comment on the gtis around the twisties. They handle absolutely sensationally. You really can put it where you want. Best handling FWD hatch of the modern era imo

Quote: Originally posted by Ben j on 29 January 2005

which is y im gettin a vtr box put in. 165mph top end. muwahahahaaa
I dont think id want to be doing 165 mph in a saxo,120 is bad enough

this thread is a load of bollox. maybe most 172s are quicker than VTSs, but Craggys VTS ran 14.5 with exhaust mods, quicker than a LOT of 172s with the same mods. Yeah, 172s will smoke them... dream on girls, the cars are a lot closer than you think and this goes to show theres Saxos that will hand you your arse for fun.

Quote: Originally posted by sargeantinio on 30 January 2005well ben j is a penoid ive said it before and ill say it again there is no substitute for cubic capacity Quote: Originally posted by RobHardyUK on 30 January 2005165mph with 120bhp

right firstly penoid think u should do some reasearch before u speak ya sh*t. my sax is a supercharged vts running about 200bhp at the wheels! u really think your 182 would stand a chance! u wouldnt even see which way id went!
- i have no reason to be biased and defend the saxo,i dont even like em that much, i have a highly modded valver too and im tellin how it is as ive actually drove them all. have u?

your just a small minded 182 driver who thinks theyre car is superior. guess wat? it aint!

and rob - nope 165 mph with about 220bhp in a car that weighs 930ks!

Quote: Originally posted by JEZZA182 on 30 January 2005

any form a? :devilish:

EVO VII

there is a easy way to settle it, just go to santa pod :)

you will see the clio do it in 14.xx and the saxo do it in 16.xx ;) this is fact.

totally agree caz. its a lot better build quality, lots more extras, safer etc. the extra power really means itll pull away at high speeds... but round a track... ud be very surprised!

GDI ???BHP Cliosport172

165mph from 120bhp-thats the biggest load of crap ive heard in ages!!! definatley dreaming there.:cry:

Renault Clio 172 Ph2

its gone from comparing a std vts to a 172/182, to a s/c vts. what about a s/c 172?

and besides, if you care to read any mag, like evo, they state the 182 is the best handling hot hatch ever. so to saya vts is gonna wipe the floor with the 182 is bollox.