ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Williams [build from 1.4]

Alfa 156 2.4 20v
Hello one more time. :)
As I've said in the introducing thread, I will make a thread for my project, and here it is.
First of all to say, I am not very good in english language so maybe you will not undrestand me everytime.

My quick story.

So, about my project. I own a Clio mk1 1.4 and the plan is to build a full williams spec trackday/race car. I am into racing for many years, if i remember correctly the first race I attendet as a spectator was in 2005 at the Rally that helded near my home. So for 12 years now I am going on various races in my country, of course like a spectator. Now, finally , I am hoping that I will also have the chance to compete. My plan is to build a original williams spec Clio, which is also quite fast in original, and later do some upgrates as the time pass by. My biggest problems are finances so the build will probably last quite long because I will not be able to buy parts for the car every month. The only thing I've done so far is ripping the interior out(except the dashboard). That is something I can do even without money and it must me done. :)

About the car.

So, about the car and the condition of it now. The car is a regular 1.4 with Williams front wings and bonnet and probably some other rear beam because I think its a little bit wider than a original 1.4. Other than that its just a regular 1.4 clio. Condition of the car is quite a disaster. The previous owners were probably some guys that don't know anything about cars or they don't care about it. The car have completly different wishbones and the anti roll bar is connected to them like s**t. On one end the ARB is connected normally while on the other is connected with a screw that is welded on approximately 45° on the wishbone. The position of front wheels is different for at least 1cm. Brakes are also a disaster, right brake is probably even not working, or if it works, the brake pad only brake on half of the disc surface. The interior is also completly destroied, seats and door panels are all teared apart. The car was slightly crashed at the front end(but luckily nothing serious) and the repair is hilarious, i think that some kid did the welding there. On the right front wheel only two out of four screws are holding the wheel. Paint is in very bad condition and the car have minor scarfs all over it. And etc. Now, you probably think why the hell did i bought that car? Well, because none of that stuff really bothers me because everything is going to be replaced with williams(or some racing) parts, and the only thing that will stay is the chassis, and the chassis is in very good condition, and that is the reason why i bought it. Appart from the thing that was slightly hitted in front, the car only have really minor traces of rust and that is the most importing thing for me.

16522791_10209684868610886_498648373_n.jpg

16736729_10209752816389538_899572076_n.jpg

16736506_10209752596104031_2006031992_n.jpg

16754249_10209752808149332_710685118_n.jpg

16780538_10209752809309361_1162857862_n.jpg

16754328_10209752807189308_1348312487_n.jpg

16754468_10209752596864050_20607623_n.jpg

Plans for build.

So, about my plans. Over a time I had a lot of things aroud my head. What to do first, which parts to go for etc. At first i was thining about F4R from clio 2 phase 1 and also a front suspension setup from the clio RS but later dropped that idea. So now, I decided to go F7R engine(probably from megane because it can be easily find and its quite cheap) and williams front suspension setup. On the rear, also a williams or valver rear beam(because they are the same). Engine will at first be standard and also the ECU(will all that take from the car that will be the donor). Rear beam also all original, maybe just the torsion bars from Renault 5 express( same code as Gr.N williams torsion bars). Front track also all original(ARB,wishbones,driveshafts etc.) maybe just powerflex all around. About suspension, will not take originals, probably some better coilovers. (When I say original i mean about williams not 1.4 :) ) . Brakes, huh, not sure about that yet, will se how the money situation will be. The originals are quite cheap so will buy them if I don't find something bigger and stronger for reasonable money. Gearbox, probably from 1.4 beacuse its shorter if I am right, or some JC5. LSD will be nice but its not time to thing about that yet. Rollbar, for me, a very important thing, but not sure if I will fit it first or over a time. And now,I also must replace the rear arches, cut it from some crashed or broken williams/valver and weld it on my car. That and the rollbar brings me to the biggest dilema I am right now.
I have two options-
1. Repair the front end that was crashed and weld in the rear arches and paint the car and upgrade all the parts and later add the rollbar and paint it inside and mayble all over.
2. Get everything out of the car right now, weld rear arches, repair the front end and all minor scarfes around the chassis and paint it all over, and then start to build the car.
The second option is definitely better but its also quite more expensive at the start(also I am more into mechanics than all the painting,welding etc). I will probably go for the second option but that will mean slower build but hey, I am young, I've got time to wait. J Probably will be buying some minor and cheaper( or something rare) stuff already now beacuse it can be easily stored in garage.

So this is it. My story and my plans for the build, I am sorry for such a long text but despite that i probably forgot to say everything I needed. If you got something to say, some advice, or something that you already done(what I am planing to do) comment please. :)

Welcome to the forum :)

Your English is excellent!

It will be a very big and expensive job to do all the work, even doing most of it yourself. Would it be cheaper to buy a 16v / Williams to start with??

I think you are correct to start with fixing the shell/chassis, as you will only need to build the car once. If you do mechanical things now, you might need to remove them to fix the shell - so you will fit them, remove them, then fit them again!

Many new Williams parts are discontinued now, and many second-hand parts are difficult to find. I hope you can find what you need! :)

The standard suspension is very good - with good tyres on the car, it grips strongly but lets you 'play' at the limit of grip. You can get lift-off oversteer but get the car back onto a straight line without crashing! It is fun :) If you are looking for the quickest lap times, maybe coilovers and polybushes would be best - but if you want fun, stay with original equipment!

For brakes, standard discs with uprated pads would be good - I like Pagid Blue and Carbone Lorraine RC5+ pads, they work on the road but work very well on the track too.

It is good to see a Mark 1 Clio being put back on the road!

Alfa 156 2.4 20v
Thanks for your opinion!
Well I don't think its cheaper to buy valver/williams. Williams are very rare here. In the last 6 months only one was for sale, and that was a full race prepared williams with F4R 250hp engine that costed 10000e which is too much for me. Valvers are also quite rare but every few month some valver is for sale. Their usuale price is around 3000e. So williams are too expensive, valver is more affordable but then again I need to do a williams wide track conversion and engine swap, so I think the most cheapest way is to build one at my home. And important thing is that I can spend money as I want(or can) on it.
About suspension, I know that williams original is very very good handeling machine but when I am already buying new stuff I will buy some coilovers because it will be used for racing only. As I've said for the brakes, if I find something better for reasonable price I will buy it, if not, I will be using standart calipers with some better discs and pads, would take your advice into consideration. About parts, the main problem for now its the AntiRollBar, I can't find that anywhere. Is there any shop in UK that still sells them? Because I can't find it aywhere on the net.

Clio Williams
Clio a group, clio maxi group etc on facebook. You can find there evrything. I buy valver, but my actual bldy is made on 1.2 body with williams rear arch. Much lighter body. And one more thing. If you make it from zero buy clio maxi body. I front you putevrything from clio sport, 4cm plus on each wheel, and on rear also evrything from clio sport. You make new tunells for shocks and springs but much better option then williams one

Last edited:
  Alfa 156 2.4 20v
Founded them all on facebook, will try to ask there for some parts. Thanks!
I saw your build pictures. I really like it, I see that you work all by yourself.
I am definitely not going to buy a maxi kit, way to expensive for me. In the beginning I was thinking about the clio sport engine and parts for front track but I decided to go with williams track. I really like the clio Gr.A look more than Maxi. The Gr.A also have some wider track rear and front but its also really expensive to do that. Just the front wishbone for Gr.A cost around 600-700e for a piece!