ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio with Rotrex super charger

1985michael182

ClioSport Club Member
Does any one know of anyone running one?
I'm fancying charging mine and selling the Jenvey throttle bodies.
Cant find any build threads on here with a kit though

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Does he have a build thread?

Yep;

@Ricardos had one too.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
What with all the turbo kits floating around now it's probably not the cheapest option.

RSRowe

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250 Cup
how are there less heat issues? surely you'd be in exactly the same position having 8psi through a turbo or through a supercharger?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
how are there less heat issues? surely you'd be in exactly the same position having 8psi through a turbo or through a supercharger?
More tolerant on the transmission as well with the power delivery being a lot more linear. Rather than having a dump of torque when the turbo spools up.

RSRowe

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250 Cup
Turbo position is right next to the firewall which can melt things.

A supercharger isn't and it doesn't run off exhaust gases, so not much heat given off apart from the heat it generates internally.
granted, but as you say you're still generating the same amount of heat compressing the air in either system.

1985michael182

ClioSport Club Member
What did you have planned?

My thoughts are it's supposed to be a bolt on mod at 240bhp without changing any internals.
NA 240bhp would be a fully forged race engine that would need stripping and rebuilding once per year.

I'm currently at 200bhp and 170lbs with 48mm Jenvey bodies
Meg injectors
Group N timing
182 mani
Mapped at EFI

David172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 M135i
What did you have planned?

My thoughts are it's supposed to be a bolt on mod at 240bhp without changing any internals.
NA 240bhp would be a fully forged race engine that would need stripping and rebuilding once per year.

I'm currently at 200bhp and 170lbs with 48mm Jenvey bodies
Meg injectors
Group N timing
182 mani
Mapped at EFI
Well I had pretty much decided on sticking with just a remap for this years track days and save up for a low boost turbo setup early next year all being well. Always assumed a turbo was the 'best' way to go as so few people went with supercharging.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Always assumed a turbo was the 'best' way to go as so few people went with supercharging.

People tend to go with turbo'ing as its cheaper.
The usual joke on CS is that people build turbo'd clios, then they spend more time being fixed than driven.
After a couple of years, the owner gets bored of fixing the POS constantly and sells up for 1/5 of the build cost.
Now, i havent owned a 1*2 for a couple of years, but that was the general consensus from about 2005 to 2018 :LOL:

A 1*2 is generally great fun because its a lightweight, N/A thrashbox. If you want a cheap turbo frenchie, just buy an R26.

David172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 M135i
People tend to go with turbo'ing as its cheaper.
The usual joke on CS is that people build turbo'd clios, then they spend more time being fixed than driven.
After a couple of years, the owner gets bored of fixing the POS constantly and sells up for 1/5 of the build cost.
Now, i havent owned a 1*2 for a couple of years, but that was the general consensus from about 2005 to 2018 :LOL:

A 1*2 is generally great fun because its a lightweight, N/A thrashbox. If you want a cheap turbo frenchie, just buy an R26.
Are you saying that a SC would need less fixing over time than a turbo or are you just refering to clios in general? :LOL:

I don't know about the OP but it's not my daily so reliability would be nice but not essential (or expected lol)

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Are you saying that a SC would need less fixing over time than a turbo or are you just refering to clios in general? :LOL:

I don't know about the OP but it's not my daily so reliability would be nice but not essential (or expected lol)

All the turbo ones just seem to break down a lot lol.
Plenty done over the years, so its not like its a case of 2 built, 1 broke, so OMG they must be unreliable. Its like 30 built, 30 broken down :ROFLMAO:
@Cub. s/c was awesome. Cost more to build, but just worked. As i know from personal experience (highly strung 240bhp R53 Mini), there is nowt worse than having an epicly fast track car that breaks down at literally ever track day you do. On the flipside, my 185k mile Trophy (standard engine) never failed to finish a trackday, barring one where it failed to even start it ... the PMS aircon delete kit failed.

David172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 M135i
Well I'll defo look into supercharging as well then. Which ever way I go it will be taken to a decent garage, ED if it's turbo. (y)

1985michael182

ClioSport Club Member
Track is what I use it for.
I'm at a stage now where to make more power I would need cams, high compression piston as a minimum. Then your into modifying the head, fancy valves , vernier pulleys. At the best parts of 4k for an engine that produces 240bhp and needs rebuilding every year.

Or chuck a charger on, keep it well serviced and hey Preston 240bhp!
Standard replacement engine 250quid if it pops. Or rebuild one with acl bearings, 197 pistons 197 cams and get a solid 250 bhp which will handle the power better. £500 engine

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
In the situation you’re in, yes, it makes sense in terms of power gain to cost / hassle.

I found mine very reliable, great on track because of the power delivery being more “naturally aspirated” in its nature.

The only thing i’d recommend is a diff if you don’t have one. Otherwise you’ll just light up the inside wheel every time you try to put the extra power down and it will “scrabble about”.

1985michael182

ClioSport Club Member
In the situation you’re in, yes, it makes sense in terms of power gain to cost / hassle.

I found mine very reliable, great on track because of the power delivery being more “naturally aspirated” in its nature.

The only thing i’d recommend is a diff if you don’t have one. Otherwise you’ll just light up the inside wheel every time you try to put the extra power down and it will “scrabble about”.
Got it, gripper already in

1985michael182

ClioSport Club Member
Turbo or high end NA.

Supercharger doesn’t give the performance.

So with NA the most air your vehicle can possible pull in is 2 litres. That's your lot which in my case gives me 200bhp at the flywheel. Running 8 psi on a charger you are adding another litre of air into your engine under boost. Technically producing a 3.0ltr engines power. We all know more air = more fuel = more power. I want more power but also reliability. Forged NA is just as unreliable and highly strung as a turbo. Turbos are 100% money pits, I've had them. My scooby spent more time in bits than it did on the road and that's supposed to be turboed.
Yes I agree you can get more power with a turbo but I'm not prepared to have the engine out after every track day fixing daft s**t.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
So with NA the most air your vehicle can possible pull in is 2 litres. That's your lot which in my case gives me 200bhp at the flywheel. Running 8 psi on a charger you are adding another litre of air into your engine under boost. Technically producing a 3.0ltr engines power. We all know more air = more fuel = more power. I want more power but also reliability. Forged NA is just as unreliable and highly strung as a turbo. Turbos are 100% money pits, I've had them. My scooby spent more time in bits than it did on the road and that's supposed to be turboed.
Yes I agree you can get more power with a turbo but I'm not prepared to have the engine out after every track day fixing daft s**t.
A turbo at 280 would be equally strung and far more entertaining to drive and quicker on track.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
I do agree with @Waitey that if it’s top end, out and out power you want, turbo may be the answer.

Problem is, it can get expensive and they aren’t very reliable.

I went supercharger because it suits my driving style better and i’m not a big fan of “drama” in terms of power delivery. I was also not chasing overall big power, more about giving it a bit more than it had.

It varies per person and wants to be honest.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
I do agree with @Waitey that if it’s top end, out and out power you want, turbo may be the answer.

Problem is, it can get expensive and they aren’t very reliable.

I went supercharger because it suits my driving style better and i’m not a big fan of “drama” in terms of power delivery. I was also not chasing overall big power, more about giving it a bit more than it had.

It varies per person and wants to be honest.
+1

My frustration came from the power delivery, low down it was like a restricted 2.0, high up it got going but always felt muted.

Plus on track (Blyton) I was consistently 2 seconds slower than my friends, standard bar a map, Meg 250. 2 seconds round Blyton is loads. So much so I made us swap over and I was 2.5 secs quicker in the Meg than him in the Clio.

Before going down any route you really need to think about the end game. As on track a 240bhp charged car won’t really have much over a 200ish N/A one bar on circuits like Donny.