ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio182 vs Megane250

Clio R.S 182 FF
I’m fortunate enough to own both a Clio182 and a Meg250 and I’m always getting asked “which is the best?”. So I decided to do a YT video to let ppl know my view …..

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Oh your on here. Stumbled across a video of yours when you bought the megane.

Looking forward to watching the above video a bit later on.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
182 is great, I love mine, but it does have compromises whereas the Megane doesn’t. Question is whether the Megane is worth x2 as much ….
For me personally I doubt it, but then I spent the remainder on ther hobbies because I'm greedy!

Fishfire

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I've recently turbo'd my Clio 172 which made 240.4hp on EFIs rollers. It's hilarious fun giving serious consideration to letting it go later next year in favour of a Mégane 250/265, based purely on having a more modern car.

Any thoughts?

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Depends what you want from the car really. I've not been in a turbo Clio, but I imagine it would feel pretty raw and lairy compared to a Megane. The 250/265/275 is more grown-up, comfortable and a much better every day car (though still quite a lot more extreme than a lot of hot hatches), so it wouldn't feel as raw as your car I wouldn't have thought. They are brilliant though. You get all the extra "niceness" when you're just driving normally but, when you feel like it, they are still razor sharp and fun to drive.

Fishfire

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Depends what you want from the car really. I've not been in a turbo Clio, but I imagine it would feel pretty raw and lairy compared to a Megane. The 250/265/275 is more grown-up, comfortable and a much better every day car (though still quite a lot more extreme than a lot of hot hatches), so it wouldn't feel as raw as your car I wouldn't have thought. They are brilliant though. You get all the extra "niceness" when you're just driving normally but, when you feel like it, they are still razor sharp and fun to drive.

That's pretty much my thoughts.

The Clio is like a mad jack Russell, certainly quick and handles well.
To my mind though, the Mégane RS 250/265/275 have a decade of handling advancements in them which would (should) allow them to handle power better.....if that makes sense.

Currently though, I'm very much enjoying the Turbo 172. Well......I will once I fit a clutch that can handle the extra ooomph lol 🤦

Clio R.S 182 FF
I've recently turbo'd my Clio 172 which made 240.4hp on EFIs rollers. It's hilarious fun giving serious consideration to letting it go later next year in favour of a Mégane 250/265, based purely on having a more modern car.

Any thoughts?
I don’t think you’ll be disappointed - the Megane is the easier car to live with on a day to day basis and has razor sharp steering with great feel and adjustability through the corners. What it doesn’t have is a high revving, raspy engine (revs and noise) and where as the Clio is just fun in a light weight throw it in and work out what to do mid-corner, the Megane feels 300kg heavier. I think it’s a sensible progressive path from the Clio.

4GTS/7.5R/182
I had a 265 Cup for about 5 years (~45k miles) and now have a 182 FF.

Imo the Megane is a much "better car" in every possible measure, faster, more planted, ridiculously good diff, great brakes and a few light years ahead in terms of interior (unfair as I am comparing cars that age 13 years apart but still has to be said).

On track I found the Megane a lot more exciting simply because the extra speed it carries and the diff give you more adjustability. Mind you I am comparing nearly stock 265 to nearly stock 182 here, not track builds.

On the road it's very much the opposite, the Megane was a decent daily driver but a bit too serious/fast for public roads, had a scary tendency to tramline when overtaking / wide throttle on B roads and the turbocharged delivery was a bit blunt. The 182 is imo way more hilarious to drive on the road, for me personally it's more fun at way lower speeds and therefore easier to explore its chassis. I also prefer the NA power delivery.

If I was after a car to put a decent amount of miles a year in and occasionally take to a trackday then no question I'd go for the Megane - I would say it is worth twice the money. I currently have/prefer the 182 because that car only goes out for fun drives and I use it mostly on the road.