ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cloud folder on Desktop.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Right, so..

At work, I'm an operations manager so I'm in charge of majority of departments including finance, customer service, admin etc.

Everyone sort of cracks on with their own things, however there are a fair few files, say for example refunds, that each person constantly adds too then has to send to everyone else within their department.

Is there any way to create a folder on my Desktop - each person can access that folder and that folder only from their own desktops and also add/delete/save/view files that are contained within that folder?

I basically want my desktop to act as the server.

Thoughts/ideas? I don't want any third party software etc, would ideally like to do it this way.

Cheers.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Nope.

Install Dropbox on all the machines (it's tiny) and use the same account login for ease.

This creates a folder on your machine, called Dropbox.

It looks like any other folder, acts like any other folder, but everything you do will be synced with all other machines logged into the service. It'll take seconds.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Isn't OneDrive comparable? I prefer it as you get 30Gb for free which is enough for me, never paid a dime for it. You can set folders to offline, but it's heavily integrated into Windows 8 only I think.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Dropbox is awesome. Use it for all my photo hotlinking too, couldn't be easier. If you log into your Dropbox account on a samsung device (I did it with a galaxy tablet), you get something daft like 45gb free for a year.
I've just upgraded to pro for $8 a month, which gives me 1TB to play with.

FF Clio 182
Create a folder or your desktop and map it as a network drive ? Unless the network you are on doesn't allow device discovery and file sharing for security reasons

Rav4
There are quite a few concerns on how dropbox handle their data.
We personally use dropbox and it works well for us, we like it and it's suitable to our business requirements.
However, saying that, some larger companies do not like the T&C's, plus how the data is handled.
A great alternative is > http://www.bittorrent.com/sync/how-it-works
Have a look and a read, no restrictions, easy to use and permissions are applicable, if you wish to use them.
Would be good to choose what option you decide in the end, as that might help others.
Thanks