ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clunking noise from passenger wheel.

ibiza cupra
ive posted up about this before, my wheel was clunking when i went round a right hand bend with any type of power and everyone i spoke to said it sounds like a cv joint. so i went through a whole lot of crap and ended up putting on a new drive shaft. but (suprise suprise) its still doing it :mad:.
any ideas of what it could be as its obviously not the cv.
cheers.

133, 182, Kangoo 182
Check the exhaust? I thought my 1.2 had a crappy CV joint so got the new driveshaft and it was still there. Turned out my exhaust was a little loose and was hitting something.

Cliosport 182
I've got exactly the same problem (front passenger wheel) when doing left hand turns and it's driving me crazy - had all the wheels off, tightened everything I can tighten but still the noise persists....

Very interested in finding the cause of the problem before I get charged a fortune by my local garage who will then tell me they can’t fix it!

ibiza cupra
Check the exhaust? I thought my 1.2 had a crappy CV joint so got the new driveshaft and it was still there. Turned out my exhaust was a little loose and was hitting something.
i do have an aftermarket exhaust on it so will check that out. what was yours knocking on in the end.

RS RIP
Could very well be engine-mount related.Engine sitting nice and tight ?

And maybe your strut-tops .. when aging they have more movement, cornering could have a "shifting" of weight effect

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
had the same problem got it fixed last week. turned out it was bearings in near the wheel, they were corroding etc. Mechanic changed a few bolts for new ones and worked great. Doesnt cost much to fix either!

ibiza cupra
there isnt any bearings on the front though so im not sure it would be that, just went outside and gave the exhust a little wobble and there dosent seem to be any exessive movment in that but im not sure what its like at the top of the decat pipe where it meets the manifold so will haveto get under the car to check that out.
franx will i be able to tell if any of the mounts are gone by giving the engine a wobble as when it is reved it does move but i assumed that needs to move abit to stop anything breaking under the stress of the engine.

Brookie.

ClioSport Club Member
sounds similar to what i had after i had my exhaust fitted.
it was knocking on the subframe (happpened more when the car had been running a while and the exhaust had heated up).
i took it back to the garage and they raised it slightly. fixed.

Cliosport 182
Just spoke to my local mechanic and he said this problem is common on Clio’s. He said the jubilee clip keeping the gaiter on my wheel and thus the grease in and water out has probably come off meaning bearings are running dry hence the banging under cornering!

Low and behold, just been to look and the jubilee clip has come off, meaning when my wheel is in full lock, the bearings are in full view!

Said he would replace the clip and re-grease the bearing for £20 – bargain!

Just hope it works!

ibiza cupra
yeah i did have that problem a while ago too with the cv boot keep coming off but thats not it now as its had a whole new shaft. im leaning more towards the exhuast or engine mounts as today i changed the pinch bolt for the ball joint for a proper strengthened one so wasnt as scared to give it some round a corner and it seems to clunk as i accelerate of but if i come off the gas, it goes away so im thinking that it may be a engine mount that has gone so the weight of the engine when going round a right hand bend shifts over and as i accellerate it rocks the engine causing the exhaust to knock or somthing to that effect. so im going to record my engine and give it a rev, then post it up and see if anyone can tell me if there is more movment than there should be.

RS RIP
Hi Kevin, how many miles has yours done, and if around 70K miles or more; how many times have the mounts been changed ?

Coming on + off throttle definately moves around the engine a lot when mounts are worn out. Giving the space there is in some places (for example only 5mm between subframe/ARB and manifold) you will get noises coming with the enginemovement

To give you an idea, mine were changed twice alreaddy in 70K miles :( Car feels like new after so thats' nice

ibiza cupra
cars done 113,000 miles lol and im not sure if they have ever been changed :eek:.
would this also wear on the inside of the tyre as it seems to have done that but im not sure its related to the knocking or not.

Last edited:
  RS RIP
^^ wow, time to do it. These mounts are notoriously known for wearing mate.

you'll love your car to death again with new mounts , really recommended . A rough way of checking it can be trying to rock the engine by hand, grab hold of the inletmani and pull hard back + forth. Should be some play there ofcourse , but mine had about a SMALL 2 cm play (1 back, 1 forth) with the new mounts on to give you an idea.

When changing these, read up on the threads going around because it seems the engine is best pulled forward (towards bumper that is) before tightening

RS RIP
cars done 113,000 miles lol and im not sure if they have ever been changed :eek:.
would this also wear on the inside of the tyre as it seems to have done that but im not sure its related to the knocking or not.

wearing on one side of the tyre hmm.. this is def not good either. You should also have the alignement/tracking checked ! Do'nt think mounts will have been the cause of that

ibiza cupra
sound ill have a look and see how much play is in it and how much new mounts are. had a look at the k tec ones but for the new ones to go on the side by the cam pullies and the one that goes under the battery its going to be over £200 so im gona check how much i can get them through work for as i get a discount.

RS RIP
sound ill have a look and see how much play is in it and how much new mounts are. had a look at the k tec ones but for the new ones to go on the side by the cam pullies and the one that goes under the battery its going to be over £200 so im gona check how much i can get them through work for as i get a discount.

Dogbone + lower box mount too i'm afraid if you want to do it right :( ;) the dogbone is the one that allows the most movement of them all

I've just ordered my third dogbone mount haha in 80K.. going for the Powerflex bushes to smack in there

ibiza cupra
with the dog bone mount, would i just get away with putting new bushes in it? and also am i better off getting the k tec kit and a lower box mount for £200 or getting standard mounts that come to £120 and then fitting them all with polybushes which would add up to about the same price?

ibiza cupra
its repetative mate. if im going round an island and keep going on and off the accellerater it will clunk when i go on and then clunk when i come off but if i go round at a constant speed it will continuosly clunk untill i either come off the gas or straiten up the steerng a bit

ibiza cupra
with the dog bone mount, would i just get away with putting new bushes in it? and also am i better off getting the k tec kit and a lower box mount for £200 or getting standard mounts that come to £120 and then fitting them all with polybushes which would add up to about the same price?
you cant replace the rubber bushes in the engine mounts can you? its only the dog bone mount, wish bones and roll bar bushes that can be done.

RS RIP
^^ right. Just the dogbone bushes and like you said ARB , wishbone, etc. Not the rest of the mounts

Read the feedback on the K-tec mounts, they're a lot more die-hard than the OEM ones.

I changed mine all round and stayed OEM last time. Now i'm just doing the dogbone bushes from Powerflex so this will stiffen things up a bit. When the top ones are worn i will also try these Ktec ones, seem allright if you like a more hardcore sporty ride. It's not my daily driver so... It's just for thrashing

ibiza cupra
yeah mine is a daily driver so not sure about which ones to get. will probly go for the oem ones as money isnt on my side at the momment.
also, would this help wear out my tyre on this side as i noticed when i had the wheel off earlyer to change the pinch bolt, that the inside of the tyre was quite badly worn but it was replaced not that long ago.

Da

Less
You say you replaced the pinch bolt - why was this?
You can get clunking from the lower ball joint.

Last edited:
  ibiza cupra
You say you replaced the pinch bolt - why was this?
You can get clunking from the lower ball joint.
ive changed the drive shaft, thinking that the clunking was the cv joint and when i pulled the pinch bolt out, the thread was knackerd so i put a normal nut and bolt in to get me home untill i got the proper strengthened one for it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Da

Less
Ah right I see, thought it might be worth you doing the ball joint too as you mention uneven tyre wear. Not sure if they're related?