ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clutch Cable

White R26/Stripped Valver
What is it with valvers and clutch cables???? Mines just snapped it 4th in 2 years something cant be right there. Plus its just f**king annoying:mad:

yeap everytime, straight from renualt in enfield, will ask them aswell when i got pick the 5th one up.

E36 328
are u puttin it in ur self?
my first one snapped on the nite i passed my test, then 2 months after, my other one snapped an i got a different guy to fit it. Turns out the previous dickhead had fitted it wrongly an misssed outta loada stuff

the one thats just snapped was fitted by a mechanic when i got a new clutch. Dont see how u can fit it wrong anyways, fit it through the chassis link it all up on the pedal, follow the same route as the old one then connect it to the clutch fork.

asked the people at renualt what it might be that causes a car to break 4 cable in two years, but being reno they didnt have a clue. I was thinking (kinda worrying:rasp:) could it be something to do with the ratchet system??

S2000
It will probably have been routed wrongly. I don't know exactly where it is but there is somewhere around the bulkhead they tend to break if not routed correctly iirc. I've not done one myself though so can't help in telling you how it should be routed.

each time its snapped its been in the same place, bout 3 or 4 inches from where it loops round the ratchet system on the pedal.

S2000
Yeah, probably around the bulkhead in that case? Try asking over on retro-renault.co.uk or williamsclio.co.uk as I'm pretty sure it was on one of them I read about it before, probably RR.

Alright guys, figured out the problem for the latest cable, the heat sheild had been resting on the manifold and it burnt a hole through it. and as the cable goes right behind there i think the heat has made the cable weaker causing it to snap, well thats what i think has happend so i gotta wait till monday now to get a new heatsheild from reno(dreading how much its gonna cost)and see where it goes from there.

Cheers

Mario.

Dci 100
Heat shields for valvers are pretty expensive, remeber being wowed by the amount they wanted to charge for one

I've got a new clutch cable for a valver too, dont have the car anymore, so u can have it for the postage if u like, cant be bothered to ebay it ;)

£50 for the heat shield lat time I looked hence why I used a piece of heat resitanct blanket Plus covered the braek and clutch cable better.

A correctly fitted proer Renault cable won't snap unlesss the clutch is broken.

I used a piece of heat resitanct blanket Plus covered the braek and clutch cable better.

Cheers mate, where did you pick up one of those blankets from?, or where can i get some exhaust tape so i can patch up the old heat sheild??

Clio Mk 1
Hi Mazza3k

finally you may have given me something else to look into for the same problem, I am having with my Clio. I am currently on my 6th cable in 3 years; I have also had to replace the pedal and the ratchet itself.
Mine seems to last about 4 to 6 months, then snaps. I found that just before the cable is about to snap, the clutch pedal will become very heavy and hard to press down. Do you have the same feeling?

Also I am not sure if this is related, but all this started a few months after I had a new clutch put in! Since then I have had problems shifting up and down the gears, between 2nd and 3rd. Have you had anything like this?

Any help or advice would be grateful, as this is driving me nuts.

Thanks
:S:S:rolleyes::rolleyes:

PS: Sorry if I may have gone off topic.

Last edited:
Also I am not sure if this is related, but all this started a few months after I had a new clutch put in! Since then I have had problems shifting up and down the gears, between 2nd and 3rd. Have you had anything like this?
Could be what clutch did you have fitted OE ones are fine but most of the aftermarket stuff junk stock better and often stronger.
I used a piece of heat resitanct blanket Plus covered the braek and clutch cable better.

Cheers mate, where did you pick up one of those blankets from?, or where can i get some exhaust tape so i can patch up the old heat sheild??
Try Demon Tweeks I forget which one I used was only cheap I think £35~40 or so I can find it if you ned.

C!RT, the only way i can tell that the cable is about to go is every now and then when i pressed the pedal i could hear a cracking noise. This cable was fitted with my new clutch and lasted the same as yours around 4 to 6 months.

but ive never had any problems changing gears.

Mario.

Clio Mk 1
Could be what clutch did you have fitted OE ones are fine but most of the aftermarket stuff junk stock better and often stronger.

One of my mates fitted the clutch for me, but I am not sure what type. I know that this is my 2nd clutch, as my first one, broke within 2 months of me having it fitted and the clutch cable was fine at that point. :cry:

Clio 1.4 '95 RT
C!rt, your car sounds like a money pit, and not the good, ooo new wheels!, kind. If it keeps happening may be cheaper in the end to get a renault dealer to look at it, else someone on here is selling the whole 1.4 lump for 50 pizzles ;)
Ali

Clio Mk 1
C!rt, your car sounds like a money pit, and not the good, ooo new wheels!, kind. If it keeps happening may be cheaper in the end to get a renault dealer to look at it, else someone on here is selling the whole 1.4 lump for 50 pizzles ;)
Ali

Hi, thanks for the offer, but I think if the renault dealer can not fix it. Then I will end up putting an RSi block in instead. :cool:

Last edited: