ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clutch gone again? Advice needed ASAP.

Audi S1
Hi all,

To give you all an idea of what has happened. Back in October 2010 I purchased a Honda Civic, it was on fairly high mileage I got the clutch and flywheel replaced around February time when the car was on 80,000 miles.

Back in April someone decided to crash into me from the rear whilst I was sitting in traffic.

See thread: http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...one-has-crashed-into-me-need-help.&highlight=

I collect my car last week Thursday along with a £3,300 bill (Third Party Insurance is paying). Today has been the 1st day that I've used the car on a run (10 miles) and I started smelling a burning smell. Pull over once I got to work and popped the bonnet.

The smell is disgusting, smells like burning metal and hurts your chest when it's inhaled. So I took the car back to the garage this afternoon which carried out the repairs of the crash, explained the problems and they said nothing they done would of effect the clutch. I explained I'm not saying it was but could the accident triggered off this problem. After not really getting any where I went back to the office and called my insurance company, advised them of the situation and that I believe I have a problem with my clutch... awaiting a call from Enterprise who were/are the ones looking into the claim.

Now to explain what happened at the crash. I was stationary, brakes applied, handbrake on - in 1st gear. Could this of broke my 2 month old brand new clutch/flywheel?

Thanks for reading my essay and hopefully someone will advise me of what to do next... I have a years warranty on the parts but if they appear to be f**ked because the person who hit me broke it then I'm sure this will void my warranty. I just don't want the garage to inspect the damage and then advise it's not the accident which caused the issue resulting in me being out of pocket.

Thanks

Ronnie

Last edited:
  Audi S1
Re: Clutch gone again?

Mods - would this be able to be moved to a section where it would get a few more views?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I doubt a "taking it up the rear" session would actually kill the clutch in the way you're describing. Do you know what was fitted when it "Was done" at 80k... full clutch kit, hydraulic slave, DMF?

Ideally the clutch will need inspecting to see if it is the cltuch that has worn or if its a fault in the slave setup. If you've been riding it or if the clutch wasn't setup properly it could cause premature wear... then again, how many miles has this setup done and how hard do you drive it? LoL

Mick

Audi S1
I drive it like I drive any car... the way I got taught. I change gears at around 2k maybe 3k depending on the situation.

I went to the garage with the clutch pretty much gone, I said I wanted it fixed he ordered/fitted a clutch and flywheel. I will confirm mileage when I get in in a few hours. Not something you expect from a garage who is very popular and have been fixing clutches for 30 years.

Audi S1
Here you go Mike. I've took a quick pic of the invoice.

I'm finding it quiet hard to read it...

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-05-23 at 19.23.30.png
    Screen shot 2011-05-23 at 19.23.30.png
    425.8 KB · Views: 94

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
So they've fitted a clutch "kit" and a DMF... which is about right. How many miles have you done on that kit?

Audi S1
That's what I'm hoping Daniel. By all account it does (got my mate to enquire about "his" car).

I should be covered either way, if it's deemed non related to the accident then it should be covered by the warranty if it's deemed accident related then it's the insurance... I'm just thinking this bloke might be an idiot (really rude, very poor customer service) and try worm his way out of it.

I spoke to Enterprise and expressed how I feel that I'm being fobbed off in getting the vehicle checked over when the accident has caused the clutch issue. A clutch doesn't burn out in a few months only covering a few thousand.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
This is what i'd do...

Take it to the guy that fitted the clutch. If he inspects it and its down to a faulty clutch then yipee, warranty claim and you're sorted.

If he says its clear the car has taken a large whack and its broken X on the flywheel and he's having nothing to do with it, get him to put that in writing and take that to your insurance company who can then claim off the third party's insurance.

Win win situation.

Seat Ibiza
This is what i'd do...

Take it to the guy that fitted the clutch. If he inspects it and its down to a faulty clutch then yipee, warranty claim and you're sorted.

If he says its clear the car has taken a large whack and its broken X on the flywheel and he's having nothing to do with it, get him to put that in writing and take that to your insurance company who can then claim off the third party's insurance.

Win win situation.

This man speaks sense...! :)
Everyone's a winner :)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
This is what i'd do...

Win win situation.

You're pretty wise for a country boy.

Last edited:
  Audi S1
Okay thought I would update this thread with what happened.

Went to the garage who carried out the work on the clutch & flywheel. Told him I was having problems and that I could smell a burning smell coming through the air vents. Popped the bonnet and told him to have a smell to which he replied he couldn't smell anything. (The smell is very distintive and I could smell it). I advised him that I had my clutch done here a few months ago and asked or his professional opinion on whether said burning smell was the clutch.

He put my car on the lift to check underneath the car to make sure I didn't pick up a hitchhiker/carrier bag. Which I hadn't. He then took the car for a quick test drive explaining to me that if I had problems with my clutch then the car wouldn't pull the way it does. Fair enough, so I asked him what could the smell be. He said it could be anything but he said he could replicate the smell buy revving the engine for a few minutes then smelling there. I said "so it is the clutch" he soon wormed his way out of answering this and said he can take my car in but I would have to sign a disclaimer to state the car is fine and it doesn't have any problems etc... which is BS because I'm bring to him because there is :S. Anyway I refused this and went back to my insurance company.

Few hours later I get a phone call from my insurance claim people telling me that they will look at it but will charge me £32 plus VAT. Reluctantly I'm accepting this, makes sense for me to go through there approved garage so that it makes things easier if the smell is due to the recent accident etc...

Car is going in on Tuesday for the remanding panel work and for them to find out what the problem(s) is. BS that I'm having to pay anything due to somebody crashed into me and I've received my car back with problems, the insurance should be looking at this free of charge ffs.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Seems really weird that this could affect the clutch. I'm guessing that it's a lengthy process to gain access to - hence why the garage is being so defensive about it?

Hope you get it sorted...

D.

Audi S1
Just gets better and better... Just spoke to the garage and they said "hmmm it could be the brakes, there's a lot of brake dust on the disc."

The smell is coming from the fncking engine bay!!

They've had it 4 hours.

350z, Subaru Legacy
Nothing worse than being messed around by garages.. Hope this works out ok for you buddy!

Oh and if it's Albany Assistance... Don't get me started.

Listerine & Poledo
Oh and if it's Albany Assistance... Don't get me started.

They are the shitttest of the s**t.

It's taken them nearly 2 years to achieve absolutely nothing when some blind old codger decided to drive into the side of the missus at a junction. They just want me to sign for 50/50 on the event. 1 letter I got from them said about how "after we advised you on the..." Now, the rest of the letter could go hang because their lazy ass solicitors hadn't spoken to me once.

Albany - Taking legal costs ands spending them on crack

Audi S1
Well I go to pick my car up in a few mins... Now do I refuse to pay them an hours labour for t-cutting a little scratch out which took 2 minutes.

They've told me that can't smell the smell coming from the car so I've told them fine I'll go for a quick spin round the industrial estate and then bring in back in 5 mins. I just hope that the smell comes back and they haven't done anything to bodge it or anything.