ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CLutch gone?

Clio 1.4 16V
Started the 1.4 Expression up yesterday morning, it wouldnt go into gear. started rolling down the street to see if it would go in and nothing, it does however go into 5th. Now i drove the car fine the night before, no signs of failure or anything. Would this be a clutch, gearbox fault etc? and how much would i be looking at, dont want to be throwing money at the car as i am looking to get rid soon, but need it running for a month or two. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Matt

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
If it goes into 5th (the hardest gear for the clutch to turn), but not any of the other gears, it's probably not clutch.

Sounds more box related.

Clio 1.4 16V
Ah right, it flies into 5th no problem, but all the other gears, not a chance. A mate said it could be the release bearing, but as you have confirmed it wouldnt go into 5th if the clutch had gone would it? How big of a job is a new gear box?

Matt

Clio 1.4 16V
Not sure Fraser. Like i say the night before it drove about 5 miles fine, i do go up a slight curb when i park up, been doing that for around two years, could this have an effect (longshot i know, but worth a mention)

Matt

If all was fine then suddenly you can only select 5th, first thing I would look at is the selector rod, if it has been knocked it could now be out hence why it won't select any gears.

Have a look under and see if it looks like it's been knocked/moved.

You should be able to see, look for the black rod coming from the underside of the gearbox along the exhaust tunnel. If it's been knocked/moved I would expect to see some marks on it, or where it joint to the selector in the box might show movement.

Has anything been done to this recently? Might it be loose and have moved?

Clio 1.4 16V
I'll see what I can see in the morn.

It has just come back from its mot and has had new discs and pads on the front, surely that can't of affected it?