ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clutch is high

Magane II Dci
hi my clutch seems to be very high on my clio mk2 ph1 its just got to 80 k on the clock and i dont think the clutch has ever been changed.

anyone think i might need a new one ?

330i. E30 Touring.
Don't worry unless it starts slipping.

Clutch is the strongest part of most Clios, imo.

Lots of Alfas
You can reset the adjuster though, disconnect the cable from the clutch fork, press the pedal in, then pull the cable out the other end and reconnect to the fork.

ITB'd MK1
my bet is you're used to a car with a hydraulic clutch rather than a cable. Dont worry about it unless it actually starts to play up IMO. not a cheap thing to do

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
Good job really considering the hassle of replacing one lol.

As said above they all have high biting points.

mine doesn't! it bites about half way down
also having a problem:

with the engine running and the car standing, pressing and holding down the clutch while engaging 1st gear and revin' to above 5000 the car tends to pull away slightly.
after that it smells like burned clutch obviously..
I would imagine that I should have a low biting point in order for this to happen, isn't it?
this is drivin me nuts as the gearbox creaks when givin it some, and couldn't fix the problem so far.
the clutch is only a month old (the helix organic kit) but the car behaved the same with the old OE unit that wasn't on it's way out either

Fabia VRS Special Ed
Sorry to bump an old thread but I actually use the search function...

My clutch is extremely high and it's doing my head in...Is there any way of adjusting it so it's lower?

I've searched and people say "it's on a ratchet system" but surely there must be some way of fixing it?

Tonight I tried my mate's 1.2 and his clutch is really low and therefore much easier to drive :mad:

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
I wish mine was high, as now it creaks all the time when givin it some. meanwhile I discovered that the whole pedal assembly is lower by some reason therefor I'm lacking travel. So I guess if yours is high it means it's normal ;)

Fabia VRS Special Ed
I wish mine was high, as now it creaks all the time when givin it some. meanwhile I discovered that the whole pedal assembly is lower by some reason therefor I'm lacking travel. So I guess if yours is high it means it's normal ;)

haha, I'd rather lack travel than nearly stalling at every set of lights and riding the accelerator like a chav ;)

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
push really hard on the brake pedal, the plate on which the pedals are mounted will bend :D
talking serious you may have the pedals higher than normal. go and check an identical car and measure it's travel. IIRC the travel should be around 13-13,5 cm from clutch pedal to the floor, measured perpendicularly. if it's more than that you have to get it down, if not then it's normal and I'd leave it like it is, otherwise you may alter the clutch operation (not nice to creak in every gear)

Clio RenaultSport
Same thing - This is my 2nd Clio Sport and I dont remember my old 52 Clio being as hard to ride the clutch. The biting point is REALLY high up and the pedal movement is very tight / springy making pulling off gently a little hard as it is easy to stall like ths. I am more used to it now, but just wanted to know if this was normal and if there is anything I can do to adjust this so that its easier to drive without afecting performance or involves tons of work. - As there isnt actually anything mecahnically wrong with it.

Thanks