ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clutch problem?

182 S
In 5th, put my foot down and when it hits 5k rpm the revs shoot up but the car isn't picking up speed. Is my clutch slipping?

RS Clio 182
mine does this sometimes in 3rd & 4th gear,normally up a hill when i put my foot down - i think it must be the clutch slipping - does this kind of thing just get worst until you have to get a new clutch? :dapprove:

S4 Avant
Winding you up mate, I have no idea.

Sounds like clutch, but if it's doing it only in 5th, more than likely gearbox related.

182 S
Tried a test earlier. putting handbrake on and trying to pull away. if clutch was slipping then revs would go up. just dragged the back end along. went for a drive and it was doing it in 3rd, 4th and 5th. after about 20 mins it stopped and i can give it the beans all the way though each gear again now..... :s dont understand at all. we shall see what its like in the morning

S4 Avant
Come up to Wirksworth, and take me out for a spin. I'll tell you what it might be, and get a ride in a charged clio :approve:

DMS

A thirsty 172
Sounds like the clutch to me. I can't think of any other reason for it happening (though I am a bit of a muppet when it comes to mechanical stuff).
Hopefully this isn't the first of many "I've had a supercharger conversion and now I keep chewing clutches" threads, and it's just actually worn out naturally.

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
sounds like the clutch to me... gray managed to get one pretty cheap from a guy on here, unless you'd be better off with a uprated one?

Phase 1 172
Dude def sounds like your clutch just starting to slip, i had it in my fiesta rs turbo sometimes it would slip then other days it would hold up! I changed the clutch and all was good!

182 S
Dude def sounds like your clutch just starting to slip, i had it in my fiesta rs turbo sometimes it would slip then other days it would hold up! I changed the clutch and all was good!

well i was gonna say it seems to be all fine now. not had the problem again since. see what the next few days brings. may opt for a kevlar clutch.

ph1 black 172
could be a long shot but is there any signs of oil coming from the gearbox.
could be the crankshaft or gearbox seal putting some oil onto clutch and then getting burnt of when slipping.

just something to look out for.

DMS

A thirsty 172
well i was gonna say it seems to be all fine now. not had the problem again since. see what the next few days brings. may opt for a kevlar clutch.

I can recommend the helix paddle clutch. I've got one fitted and I reckon it gives the car a unique character. It's harsh as fook when you first fit it but after a few hundred miles it beds in nicely and starts to feel a bit more like a normal clutch. It also creaks when changing down or reversing and it actually sounds pretty good.
Plus it's meant to be able to handle well over 300lb/ft of torque.
Feel free to come and test mine if you want to see what it's like.