ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clutch problem

driving a long everything was fine then all of a sudden it wouldn't go in any gear i eventually got it into 5th and got it home, popped the bonnet had a quick look around got someone to push the clutch in and i noticed the fork wasn't moving that much. With the clutch pedal not pressed in i can pull the cable about an inch or so with ease, so as someone is pressing the clutch i got a bar and levered the fork all the way over. Now the fork will open all the way but there's way to much tension on the cable and the clutch pedal is a lot heavier, when i drive it now and change gear (mainly around 3k) you can hear the thrust bearing making a grinding noise when coming off the clutch, it's a brand new valeo clutch and thrust bearing thats only covered 300 miles on a 172 cup.

anyone got any suggestions? only thing i can think of is either the clutch cable has stretched or the nylon teeth on the tensioner by the pedal have had it and it's not auto adjusting?

spent all day on it today trying to figure it out, took the clutch ratchet off and noticed the cable doesn't run within the groove not sure if it's meant to or not? anyone got a picture or able to get one of how it's meant to be?

still can't figure this out, time to get the gearbox off and have a look at the thrust bearing now :dapprove:

taken the box off put new thrust bearing on and no change, still makes a loud noise when i put the clutch in (not a whining noise kind of like a crunching noise). Not sure what else to try other than box back of and getting it reconditioned

I can pull my clutch cable this much (see pic) with ease

y2ube8aq.jpg

But if I get someone to push the clutch in I can then put a bar in there and push the arm all the way over I can then also hear the ratchet clicking and takes up the slack. If I do this though it selects every gear fine but when i push the clutch in it makes a noise at low ish revs. It's got a new valeo clutch and release bearing was working fine for 200+ miles then all of a sudden I lost all gears when I pressed the clutch. New clutch cable to try next from Renault?

Last edited:
this is the noise i'm getting only when the clutch is pushed in, when it's out it doesn't make the noise at all.

video isn't the best but you can still hear it, it's got a new valeo clutch plus thrust bearing 200 miles ago and was working fine until i went to change from third to fourth but couldn't select any gear. I've also fitted a new clutch cable from renault.

Last edited by a moderator: