ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clutch Ratchet Problem?

fatboymal

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
The clutch pedal on my 04 182 had zero resistance the other day, just pushed freely to the floor. After tapping it with my foot a few times it just returned to normal.

It has now gone back to zero resistance. I’ve checked the linkage rod is in place. I can turn the ratchet plastic manually with my hand and the pedal then feels as if it has resistance again.

Any suggestions? Any help gratefully received!

fatboymal

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
So I’ve established that the clutch cable hasn’t snapped and is connected both ends.

I can rotate the semi-circular black ratchet and it springs back when let go. I assume there should be some sort of teeth that connect to the ratchet to stop it springing back?

Mazda mps
The ratchet shouldn't move around without the clicking noise from the ratchet teeth. it's quire easy to remove in situ. There is a bolt onto a captive nut, this hold the ratchet mechanism in place. Remove the ball socket from one end of the pedal and the clutch cable. The ratchet unit will come out. Be aware that it goes in one way and comes out the same so take notice when you remove it. When it is out you can work the ratchet and the two teeth mechanism which prevents it going backwards. Then you can decide if you need a new one. I had to change mine as there was no clutch cable movement, the ratchet wasn't engaging and holding. The only way I knew was to remove it. Good luck