ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Coil packs - resistance in Ohms - significance?

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Tried asking this question on FB and it's just full of morons who give their ill informed opinions, rather than answer the question! So hoping CS has some knowledgeable folk who can give me the answer to this. Not a problem, just a curiousity:

I've got some new non OEM 'uprated' (I know they're not a real upgrade, they're just shiny bling for the bay and I needed some spares anyway) coils and they measured at 10 Ohms (?)

The OEM ones that came out, have done 35k and measured 5 ohms

What's the significance, if any, of the difference in measurements? In theory, what exactly would result from this and does it indicate the OEM were tired? They're all the same reading though and not just one or 2.

VW pencil coils BTW - not clio :)

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Tried asking this question on FB and it's just full of morons who give their ill informed opinions, rather than answer the question! So hoping CS has some knowledgeable folk who can give me the answer to this. Not a problem, just a curiousity:

I've got some new non OEM 'uprated' (I know they're not a real upgrade, they're just shiny bling for the bay and I needed some spares anyway) coils and they measured at 10 Ohms (?)

The OEM ones that came out, have done 35k and measured 5 ohms

What's the significance, if any, of the difference in measurements? In theory, what exactly would result from this and does it indicate the OEM were tired? They're all the same reading though and not just one or 2.

VW pencil coils BTW - not clio :)
Are you sure they're 5 and 10 ohms and not 0.5/1? There will always be a resistance across an electrical circuit which is from a number of factors (cable lengths, no. Coils etc.). There will be a working 'operating' range that the system looks for.

Its probably within spec and should be OK but it'll be in a tech manual somewhere.

Old coils on the lower side of the range, new coils on the upper, as expected really old v new. Have a look into upgrading to a colder spark plug when fitting the new coil pack, you may get a benefit in performance.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Are you sure they're 5 and 10 ohms and not 0.5/1? There will always be a resistance across an electrical circuit which is from a number of factors (cable lengths, no. Coils etc.). There will be a working 'operating' range that the system looks for.

Its probably within spec and should be OK but it'll be in a tech manual somewhere.

pass mate, set the multimeter to 20 and it reads 5 for OEM and 10 for new non gen (supposedly RS3 ones)

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
It 100% makes a difference. I ended up with about 9coil packs trying to chase a couple missfires on the K20, and that was the best way of determining good ones.