ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

coilovers, are they worth it??

1.2 2003 clio
Hi guys, I'm sure you will have heard this kinda thing like a million times on here but I was just wondering what your opinions on coilovers for me would be??

I have a 2003 1.2 clio Dynamiqe and have had it for a good few months now, I have only made a few mods such as headunit, door speakers, led bulbs and other little bits. I really like my car and enjoy driving it but as it has a few minor scuffs and marks so I have never bothered with the asthetics.

I am planning on keeping my 1.2 for a while until hopefully can afford a 182 ;) .

My only real issue with the car is that I find it rolls too much in the corners. Now I'm not wanting to go over the top but I will spend a bit on the car if it means I enjoy it more. I have been looking at coilover sets and the one that keeps popping up is the v maxx coilovers for between £350 and £400.

http://www.dcperformance.co.uk/cheap/356968/renault/v-maxx-coilovers/60re04.html

Now I'm sure there will be mixed opinions but do you think for me this will be worth it or maybe not what I require or maybe you could give me some other suggestions/ advice please??

Thank you for any help it will be much appreciated
Ian.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
I had some eibach sport lines on my old 182 they were alright, just a slight drop over oem. I think the cooksport springs drop it slightly further whilst not affecting the handling.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Not sure tbh. Been in this position a lot when I was younger (not being an ass op), and my world if wisdom advice is save your pennies for a new motor. If you were going to keep the car for a while then fill your boots on new coilovers :)

twingo
i'd ignore the folk who tell you to forget about your coilovers ; save the cash for a 182. that's like going to a 182 owner and saying forget your coilovers ; buy a jaguar f type. so let's ignore those sorts of replies and lets actually discuss what you asked dude :) what kind of driving do you do??? do you enjoy a spirited drive, holding as much speed as is safely possible into corners to build up your confidence for when you move upto a 182? if so, i'd say coilovers would be a great idea for you as we all have to start safely and a little 1.2 would be a good way to learn, especially when you have already said that you aspire to move up to a 182 in a few years. perfect little cars to learn suspension set ups and find a nice set up for cheap, all of which you can carry over to the 182 as it won't be too unfamiliar to your 1.2! we all have to learn somewhere after all :D

offcourse it would make financial sense to keep the £$£$£ for the 182 but let's be honest, boys will be boys and financial sense isn't something many of us do very well. that's why we get married haha :p

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
^^ lol.

Save the money, you would be better off with some decent springs, fresh shocks and good tyres than a cheap set of coilovers.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
i'd ignore the folk who tell you to forget about your coilovers ; save the cash for a 182. that's like going to a 182 owner and saying forget your coilovers ; buy a jaguar f type. so let's ignore those sorts of replies and lets actually discuss what you asked dude :) what kind of driving do you do??? do you enjoy a spirited drive, holding as much speed as is safely possible into corners to build up your confidence for when you move upto a 182? if so, i'd say coilovers would be a great idea for you as we all have to start safely and a little 1.2 would be a good way to learn, especially when you have already said that you aspire to move up to a 182 in a few years. perfect little cars to learn suspension set ups and find a nice set up for cheap, all of which you can carry over to the 182 as it won't be too unfamiliar to your 1.2! we all have to learn somewhere after all :D

offcourse it would make financial sense to keep the £$£$£ for the 182 but let's be honest, boys will be boys and financial sense isn't something many of us do very well. that's why we get married haha :p

Well I can't argue with that. Archive that sh£&

1.2 2003 clio
Thanks a lot for the advice, do you have any recomendations?? , please could you bare in mind it is only a 1.2 for road use so really there is no need for expensive full gas system race shocks and springs worth +£1000. Just looking for a more stable ride that stays planted while cornering making it even more fun to drive.

1.2 2003 clio
Oh and just to add, of course if I could I would get a 182 today. The only issue is insurance prices, I'd rather wait another 12 months maybe more to gain some NCB and further experience driving first as I am still only properly learning how to 'drive' my Clio