ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Coilovers on rs200?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
But be careful. Seems the later 200's with the 'RS' badge in the front bumper have new designed front top mounts. Nobody makes springs/coilovers that will fit them (yet)

ITB'd MK1
Spax do them, and if anyone has a newer 200 with the later top mounts that wants to volunteer the vehicle for a bit, I should be able to get them to mod the design

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Spax, yuk. Personally I'd be looking at KW/H&R. Demon tweeks, or kam racing stock them.

ITB'd MK1
spax build quality is easily better than H&R. Your old ones knocked like a motherfucker. KW are good though.

Have a ride in Dave88's 182 if you get the chance. I think you'll change your opinion (which I'm guessing is based on 2nd hand info rather than experience of the product)

Anyone got a picture of the topmount differences between the 197/200?

Mines looked like this. Car was Dec 2010.

165368_497595478680_514638680_5965414_6669932_n.jpg

Discounted 1*2 parts
Here is a pic of the differences in top mounts. The larger one on the right is the old style mount and the smaller on the left is the new style. The old mount fits snuggly in the purple coilover cup or H&R spring and gives a good solid fit.

The new style mount is far smaller and rattles around inside the cup. There is no way I'd trust this on my car as you're never going to be able to get the shock to fit perfectly. I know people have said to me 'just make it look central and tighten it!!' but its only going to take one bump to move the shock absobrer?

P1030792.jpg

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
spax build quality is easily better than H&R. Your old ones knocked like a motherf**ker. KW are good though.

Have a ride in Dave88's 182 if you get the chance. I think you'll change your opinion (which I'm guessing is based on 2nd hand info rather than experience of the product)

Behave!, spax are budget! You've said this about my h&r's before on guppys car. I bought them second hand off here, ran them six months then sold the car. It was only the front damper iirc?? Remember Eddie on here ? He had spax on his DCI. He removed them after a few months, the reason, knocked like a b*****d ;)

For the record I've had 3 sets of H&R, one billstein and never had any issues what so ever. Also had the misfortune of gaz units, they were binned after a month . Shocking :(

Last edited:
  ITB'd MK1
I've yet to see a single set of H&R's that dont have play in the dampers, hence i wont sell them.

I've seen the returns shelf at spax (as has Dave when we had the factory tour) it's very small and the majority of things there are down to people damaging the dampers by using mole grips on the shaft.

They are a world away from being budget, and their development engineers are extremely knowledgable

Lionel Richie
Really danny? i've got 6cars in the workshop with unknocking bilstein dampers! Bilstein mono tube shocks (h&r) do not "knock"

Bilstein (h&r) = best in the world - hence why i do sell them ;)

Mines didn't move after I stuck a washer on the damper rod. In fact when I took them back off after 4k, they hadn't moved in the cup at all, still perfectly central.

The reason you get play in it is because on the oem damper rod, the bit below the thread is thinner than the thread. On the KW's, the bit of metal below the thread is the same thickness of the thread. OEM - the nut goes down tight. KW - the nut cant tighten as it runs out of thread.

2 washers later and they didn't knock or move.