ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Coilovers

Clio 172
Hi guys right im buying a new set of coilovers for my 172 track car. I'm pretty new to all this and need some help on what weight i need for them front and rear can anyone give me any advice on the best option as i dont want to have be replacing them if they aint what I need. Car is standard bar seats and being stripped if thats any info needed. Thanks a lot john

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Whats ur budget and will you be competing or just doing track days?
Is the car trailered to the track or driven

S4 Avant
Honestly, avoid coilovers.

You're getting yourself into a world of "they're s**t, these are s**t, OMGZ these are amazing, but so expensive"

all my experience with coilovers points to increased wear on joints and bushes, a s**t ride and a pain in the arse with Internet experts.

Clio 172
Budget is low as poss haha! Ive found some brand new for 475 the car is just for track day fun but i want it to be decent as I feel the suspension side is killing my fun now! Car is trailered to the tracks and always will be. And if it wears bushes thats fine as long as I get my fun cause its not so fun driving a bouncy ball around a track lol but yes ive heard dont get these get these and so on time to go feet 1st and make my decision its more the weights i need help with really as i just aint got a clue i just know i need it stiffer then it is Cheers guys

Range Rover Sport
I'm going to get hammered here, however we didn't find the mega cheap 'Raceland' coilovers too bad at Oulton.

Yes they could be heavily improved but of the car I didn't think the coilovers let the car down.

However when I actually get myself into action and get a new set I'll be looking higher up the price range for a more adjusting coilover kit. (Damper etc).

I think most kits including CUP suspension will work ok for most track going people. I also found having the suspension set up correctly helped massively.

Clio 172
Yeh i defo want some fully adjustables and then my mate can set them up for me. What type of weight was these cheap ones front and rear do you know?

Yeh i defo want some fully adjustables and then my mate can set them up for me. What type of weight was these cheap ones front and rear do you know?

This idea doesn't really fit in with "cheap as possible." E.g. looking at the range of coilovers on the Ktec website, they are all height adjustable (maybe this is what you mean?) but the cheapest set with adjustable damping is £600 (Gaz) and that will still only be 1 (or possibly) 2 way. Spax RSX is 2-way adjustable for £800.

By "weight" do you mean "spring rate" (as in how hard the springs are, not how many kilograms the damper weighs) ?

Also have you checked the condition of your current dampers? Made sure there's no signs of oil leaking? A standard car should be soft but not "bouncy" as you put it.

Last edited:

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Honestly, avoid coilovers.

You're getting yourself into a world of "they're s**t, these are s**t, OMGZ these are amazing, but so expensive"

all my experience with coilovers points to increased wear on joints and bushes, a s**t ride and a pain in the arse with Internet experts.

is that why you sold up and went to sulk in your mobile, wood panelled library?

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
feck knows mate, I wasn't looking, they all look the same to me ;)

if it wasn't a E55 AMG with S/C conversion, I'm literally not interested :rasp:

Clio 172
Say cheap but obviously you get what you pay for i wont be spending over 500 its my 1st track car when I get better ill get better stuff and yes the spring rating mate? Someone said 375 front and 200-225 rear? I know my mates xr2 is running like 800 pounds im sure he said? As for my old shocks leaking or not they got to go i need faster times

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
flattery will get you nowhere Dave, you've tried it once and I told you not to try it again :rasp: